I have burning sensation in my nipple area after Gynecomastia surgery...how can I get over this kind of discomfort?

Pain and Discomfort After Gynecomastia Surgery

As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding. Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Burning and tingling sensation is normal after gynecomastia surgery.  These are often the first sensations to return after the nerves are coming back online after being stunned from the swelling of the surgery.  In time, this sensation should resolve.  Best of luck.  

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Dyesthesia of the nipple area after gynecomastia surgery

This type of burning sensation is due to an irritation of the 4th intercostal nerve.  Massage of the nipple area can be beneficial.  It will usually resolve in a few months.  

Burning after gynecomastia surgery

Without an exam and more details about your procedure it is difficult to answer your question. I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. They can perform an exam to evaluate if there is anything of concern.

Best Regards,
Dr Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD