Chest liposuction for gynecomastia. How long does it take to really notice results?

I just had chest liposuction for gynecamastia about 10 days ago. I still feel lumps in my chest. How long does it take to really notice results?

Liposuction for gynecomastia

Clarification is needed, because lumps could be residual glandular tissue or more likely lumps can be related to liposuction. If liposuction related the lumps will certainly resolve with time, massage, and decreased swelling.  It is very common for lumps and bumps to be present following liposuction particularly after 10 days. I recommend you discuss with your surgeon during future follow up visits. Really should be seen 1 month following liposuction as swelling decreased. The more longstanding results after liposuction may take 6-12 months depending upon the patient, location of liposuction and the amount of subcutaneous tissue removed and remaining tissue.  

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. Often, you can see some results almost immediately after liposuction of the chest. It usually takes 2 to 3 months to see most of the results because of a small amount of swelling associated with liposuction. Sometimes, liposuction alone will not remove all the firm nodular tissue that can be under and around the nipple. The best thing to do is see you surgeon and express your concerns. Best of luck. 

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You should notice some result in 2-3 weeks and final result in 6-8 weeks. The lumps will go away; you can hasten that process with massage. Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon