I'm 11 wks post gynecomastia (liposuction/gland incision). I can see first signs of gland regrowth. What can I do? (Photo)

I think my gynecomastia is coming back, please help me with advice. I did not gain any weight while recovering and everything was going smooth, but the chest size gradually increased and still continues to increase. I can feel 3-5 lumps/balls behind each areola and some fat beneath. I don't have any pain and I feel normal. I was wearing compression garment for 6 weeks. The fat on my chest appeared out of nowhere after 1 month post-op and it doesn't feel like swelling, it is just pure fat. Help !

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery & Lasting Effects

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery.
However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.
Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation

11 Weeks Post Op Gynecomastia

It is highly unusual to have gland regrowth after this surgery if it was done correctly.  See your Plastic Surgeon for an exam.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

A bit of reassurance....

It may be somewhat reassuring to hear that it is very common for hard lumps of injured/healing tissue to form after gynecomastia surgery. These are called induration nodules and they begin showing up in many patients (60-70 % of patients in my practice) around the 4th week. It frustrates guys that these often persist for over a year -- but they almost always go away completely with time. Your body is attacking and degrading the tissue that was traumatized and it takes many months for swelling and lumps to settle down.

Using highly standardized imaging techniques, I recently showed that every patient stays swollen (to a greater or lesser degree, depending upon their genetics) for a minimum of 18 months after gynecomastia surgery and plain liposuction as well. 

I wouldn't worry too much -- certainly not for many many months. You may be able to speed up the resolution of the lumps with GENTLE circular massage. But, I would totally avoid squeezing or pinching skin of the chest, as you want this plane to seal down to the underlying structures without being loosened.

Patience and time will be your greatest helpers...

David Teplica, MD