Why does my neck feel so stiff after a neck lift?

Why does my neck feel so stiff 6 days after a neck lift? How long will it take to feel natural again?

Tight stiff neck a week after surgery

Tightness and stiffness after a necklift is common in the early stage of healing.  In the process of tightening the platysma muscle, the muscle becomes inflamed and swollen.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon so that he can monitor your healing.

Tightness and stiffness after a necklift is not unusual.  Lifting and tightening skin and muscle will cause a tight, unnatural feeling.  This will resolve with time.  The end result will be worth it!

Normal healing

This a part of the normal healing process. The lumpiness, swelling, numbness, itching and tight/hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Neck tightness after neck lift

Face and neck and tightness one-week postoperative lower face and neck lift surgery is normal.Swelling and numbness after any face and neck lift surgery is expected and is normal. Usually, most of the noticeable swelling is reduced within a couple of weeks, perhaps in some cases a couple of months. Initial icing will help to reduce swelling faster. Good luck and good healing

Kevin Sadati, DO

Recovery

Dear akopjak,

Remain patient, my friend. You are in the early stages of recovery having left the operating table less than a week ago. I would continue your recovery regimen: refraining from exercise, avoiding exposure from the sun as well as steering clear from alcohol consumption. Rest will be your best bet for a successful neck lift at this point. Some patients experience stiffness for 2-4 weeks while others have prolonged symptoms lasting months.

Check-in with your surgeon a month post op. I always recommend patients seek the highest quality care and treatment that only board certified facial plastic surgeons are equipped to provide.

Sincerely,
Ross A. Clevnes, MD, FACS
Clevens Face and Body Specialists

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tight stiff neck a week after surgery

Thank you for asking about your neck lift recovery.

• Surgery causes swelling and the neck lift tightens muscle.
  • Stiffness of the neck is entirely normal for weeks after a neck lift.
  • It subsides with time - this is a natural healing process.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Why does my face feel stiff after a neck lift?

What you are experiencing is very common. In the process of tightening the platysma muscle, the muscle becomes inflamed and swollen. This creates the stiff feeling. This sensation will gradually resolve however it is very difficult to predict how long it will take. I typically advise patients that it could take between 2-8 weeks for the neck to soften up. Wearing a compression garment can help facilitate the healing process and also make you more comfortable. Make sure to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after necklift

Thank you for your question.  This is very normal and typical for several weeks after a necklift.  Your soft tissues were loose and sagging before the lift (which is probably why you had the procedure in the first place).  Lifting these tissues requires them to be tightened.  This, combined with the swelling from the surgery will make the neck feel quite tense.  As the swelling subsides and the soft tissues relax, you should notice a greatly diminished sense of tightness (but still see good results).  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift recovery

Hi and this is a common question.  This is very normal.  A neck lift involves tightening the superficial neck muscles and skin. In addition there is still post surgical swelling. Also, there is some numbness to the skin altering its normal feeling. Finally, the head and neck positioning during the surgery adds to a stiff neck.  This will continually improve as the muscles and skin accommodate. Always talk to your surgeon about your concerns. A neck lift is a very rewarding procedure. Enjoy the results !

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Tightness after face/neck lift

It is totally normal to have a 'stiff' feeling after a face or neck lift. This is the healing process beginning. It will get better and better over time but for a few weeks to a few months, you may experience some degree of tight feeling.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon