I'm 30 years old and skin under chin starting to sag. Do I have options?? (photos)

Though it's very not noticeable from most angles, it's still disconcerting to say the least! When I turn my head to the side is when it's most noticeable. I'm wondering if I'd be a good candidate for cosmetic surgery of some kind, and if so, which treatments? Obviously I am interested in less invasive procedures. I've attached some pictures taken from below. Thanks so much!

I'm 30 years old and skin under chin starting to sag.

There are always options, but we really do need to see a full set of photos.  We need a profile photo and one with your face neutral.  If you do not want to post public photos, you can e-mail private photos to our website.  You may need a bit of skin tightening such as Protege or some skin removal.  

Botox in the neck and platysma

Since your showing the photos rotated this most likely means the problem is mainly cause by platysmal banding and secondly by a small amount of excess skin.  The first thing to try to see if it will make you happy is placing Botox into the platysma muscle.  If this isn't sufficient you can supplement by using RF or ultrasound devices which don't do much but do give a subtle tightening for a period of time which may be all you need.   A vertical deep plane lift would take care of it but might be overkill for you since your neck looks good in my opinion 

Ben Talei, MD

Neck rejuvenation options

Thanks for sharing. In general, current neck and lower face rejuvenation treatments include:

1. Surgical Neck lift* with a Lower Facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best overall results in the jowls and neck
  2. Surgical Neck lift* which removes skin would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and/or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. (A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening)
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
  6. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their activity and show
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

Based on your photos, you do have excess skin. it is possible that you would benefit from a surgical neck lift or ultherapy to tighten the skin. Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Treating sagging excess neck skin at age 30

Thank you for your question and for posting photos.  In order to truly make a recommendation, it is important to see frontal, side, and three-quarter views without your head turned (i.e. in neutral position).  The platysma muscle can often contribute to the perceived "neck bands". Often this can be addressed with neuromodulator, such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin.  Nonsurgical options such as Ultherapy, ThermiRF, and others can also have nice results in the submentum (area under the chin), but will not give surgical results if thee is truly excess skin. Additional photos are really necessary, however before a recommendation can be made.  As with any cosmetic procedure, in-person consultation with a trusted facial plastic or plastic surgeon will allow you to discuss your desired outcome with your surgeon and a treatment plan can be determined.

Josh Surowitz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging neck skin

Even at age 30, signs of aging can be present. A complete physical exam and learning your medical history is the most important information right now. Pictures are great, but not enough. Meet with a qualified surgeon for an evaluation. 

You certainly have options, from non-surgical laser skin tightening, which melts fat and tightens collagen, to full surgical face and neck lift procedures that remove excess skin and fat. 

Either way, I like to advise patients that cosmetic surgery is a lifelong endeavor, and you're starting early. Establish with a plastic surgeon you're comfortable seeing for many years to come. Good luck!

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

Options with Sagging Neck/Chin

Dear lisa.fremont,

There are always options to any cosmetic concern. The sagging you experience under the neck can be resolved through a Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift.  This procedure that I created and refined utilizes a laser to treat the three areas that compose your neck: skin, muscle and fat. As you will see from the attached video, I point out that if a procedure does not address skin, muscle and fat then the procedure is destined to fail. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your conerns. 

Sincerely Yours,
Ross A. Clevens, MD, FACS

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin in the neck

First of all, it's important to have a full set of pictures in a  chin neutral position without turning the neck. If there is excess skin present, a surgical neck lift with skin removal will be required. The fatty deposits can also be removed as well at the same time.

Sagging neck skin when 'young'

can be disconcerting and there are options for you.  Surgical options have been mentioned but you could consider ThermiRF.  I agree that the truly non-invasive methods like Ulthera are not very predictable.  Thermi involves small puncture wounds where  probe can be inserted under the skin and heated in a controlled manner.  This is relatively new so get some protections for yourself and know what happens if you pay for this and you get nothing.  In my practice, I provide a significant credit towards another procedure if my procedure produces no result and when I say result, it should be obvious when viewing photos side by side.

Curtis Wong, MD

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy/Thermage, Kybella

I treat this everyday in my practice. You may be a surgical candidate but you do not need surgery for improvement. Properly performed liposuction with energy based devices and physical fat removal will do fantastic to remove the fat, lift the skin, and contour the jawline. I pretreat everyone with Botox 1-2 weeks before surgery to relax the neck muscles, allowing for better retraction of the skin after surgery. Then after treatment we do skin tightening with Venus Legacy/Thermage to improve the results and decrease the neck swelling. I suggest you only see an expert for treatment of this area as a meticulous surgeon is required to get great results and complications in this area can be devastating both medically and cosmetically. A new medication that is used to remove chin fat with injections called Kybella may also be an option, as it secondarily allows for skin tightening/lifting as well. A formal consultation is needed to determine what are the best options for you. Best, Dr. Emer. 

Early aging in the female with sagging the neck skin?

Early aging in the female with sagging the neck skin? Excess skin requires a form of neck lift and or facelift to solve your problem. Any of the so-called minimally invasive procedures will not fix your problem. See a very experienced surgeon