How long should I ice after gynecomastia surgery to reduce swelling?

I had gynecomastia surgery 3 weeks ago, there was a hematoma on one side and that was drained 2 weeks ago. Dr said everything is looking normal. Bruising is mostly all gone but there is still swelling on both sides. At this point 3 weeks after surgery will Ice do anything at all to help reduce? if not and suggestions? i know it takes time but looking to expedite things:) I'm still wearing my compression all day

Swelling Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. But if this causes concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Ice and BA

I generally don't recommend ice for breast patients as the implant is so far from the skin surface it does little good nor is it helpful after the point of maximum swelling, after the first 3 days.

Discuss this with your surgeon and follow his directions!

#iceaftersurgery
#breastaugmentation
#BA

Best to run these types of questions by your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care. Regardless, patients should be very careful about applying cold or heat to recently operated upon areas; these areas will likely be numb and can potentially be damaged by excessive cold/heat that the patient does not sense . Therefore, in my practice, I ask patients not to apply either cold packs or heating pads directly upon surgical sites. Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource. Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Icing after a gynocomastia procedure...

In general, after gynecomastia surgery icing will not help reduce swelling more for than the first two or three days. Swelling and bruising from a hematoma will typically take longer to resolve, but eventually it will. You should continue to wear the compression garment and rest. It is important during the healing process to take care of yourself. If you have any concerns the best thing to be done is to consult with your surgeon.  

Ice after surgery

I don't think ice helps past 3 days after surgery. I would recommend warwmth thereafter. This will help to stimulate the circulation. But you must be very careful it is not too hot or you will burn yourself since the feeling is not good. You should check in with your surgeon before doing anyting.

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery

At three weeks post-op from gynecomastia surgery, swelling is normal. It is unlikely that icing will help at this point. Best to ask your surgeon. Good luck.

Using Ice after Gynecomastia Surgery

I don't recommend to my patients to use ice after this surgery. Because sensibility of the skin is altered, there is a concern for frostbite. Cool compresses may help the pain in the very early postoperative period, but I don't believe they will alter the swelling much. Continue what you're doing, wearing the compression vest.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for writing,

Ice is good in that it helps with pain, spasm vessels and decreases tissue leak ( swelling), make platelets more sticky ( therefore plugging vessel holes and decreasing swelling). At three weeks the major benefit of ice is past, unless you want it to make the tissues more comfortable. Wearing your garment is good thing to do. Check with your Plastic Surgeon to ensure you are doing all the correct things. You should do well.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Gynecomastia swelling

Thank you for your question.  Swelling often occurs after gynecomastia surgery, and may persist for up to a year after surgery.  Most surgeons recommend wearing compression garments like you have been doing.  You should ask your surgeon for specific postoperative instruction, as every surgeon has their own particular guidelines.  Schedule an appointment to see your surgeon if you have any concerns.  Best wishes.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

No ice

Typically I do not ice after surgery.  The skin is sensitive to the temperature extremes, and the benefit is small enough that the risk is not worth it,