Does this look like a hematoma? Just had gynecomastia surgery (thru armpit) and lipo of abdomen and flanks. (Photo)

This picture is day 2 post op. So far I am ecstatic about the results; the gynecomastia results in particular are really dramatic. Not in much pain whatsoever. However, I think I may have a hematoma. I don't have my post op appt until 10 more days so what do you guys think? Does it look like a hematoma or is it just normal bruising? Could it be burn marks from the ultrasonic assisted lipo? Im concerned about the vertical dark purple mark on my central abdomen and the one on my left side.

Seroma, Hematoma and Swelling

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Bruising is normal after gynecomastia surgery.

Your results look great without a bulge or obvious collection of fluid or blood beneath the skin flaps. There is no evidence of a burn, and ultrasonic liposuction uses sound waves, not heat. (Fat cells are ruptured at 33kHz, not "melted.")

Bruising is normal, particularly at the edge of foam or gauze pads. Reposition them daily, but keep compression on and activities low as your surgeon has recommended. If you note any unilateral or localized swelling not present on the opposite side, see your surgeon sooner than 10 days. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Male breast reduction

Hi,
Bruising is normal after your surgery and that is all I see.  Since I can't examine you, I would recommend you call your surgeon today and stop by for a quick check to put your mind at ease.  The straight line bruising might have collect on the edge of a foam dressing. Great answer below, too. All the best,  Dr. Joe

Normal bruising after liposuction

Greetings. You appear to have normal swelling and bruising. I see no evidence of hematoma or burn marks from ultrasound assisted liposuction (UAL). All the best.

Does this look like a hematoma? Just had gynecomastia surgery (thru armpit) and lipo of abdomen and flanks.

No does not appears as hematoma! But best to see your operative surgeon ASAP for examination to be sure! 

Bruising not a hematoma after gynecomastia surgery

Bruising is not the same as a  hematoma.  A hematoma would caused abnormal swelling and I do not see this from your photograph.