I am currently a 32A and plan to get 450cc silicone breast implants (high profile) Will these get me to a full C/small D?

I am 22 years old, 5'2" and 110lb. When I tried the 450cc sizers they looked big but have been told that they are actually going to look a little smaller since I am getting them under the muscle as well. I'm not sure if I should go with 500 cc just to be safe? I don't want to look heavy and disproportionate, but I'd hate to wish I would've gone bigger AFTER the surgery!

Breast implant sizing

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Size of the implants can be very personal choices that a patient makes. In many cases, patients can go from a A cup to a D cup or larger. In our practice, I begin by asking whether you are looking for more projection or perkiness and whether you mind have some of the breast tissue push outwards on the side. In addition, I ask you to try on different external sizers to give you a sense of what your breast may look like and the feel of extra volume in the breasts. The volume range and the breast shape preferences helps me the further guide you in your implant selection and to give you guidance on what the breast might look.
I would also recommend that you try Mentor's external sizer as they give you a much more realistic view of what you will look like that simply using implants on the external breast.  In experienced hands, they can be used to create a look and feel of the different implant styles.
I would visit with some board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss your options and goals in more detail.

Clear communication and trust in your PS.

It’s always difficult making decisions about breast size without performing a physical exam or seeing preoperative pictures.In addition, the patient’s underlying anatomy and personal preference for size and shape must be considered, as well.
Even when tremendous care is taken preoperatively to determine breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the Operating Room by the surgeon.At this point, an assessment can be made by evaluating how the patient’s breast tissue interacts with the breast implant.Occasionally, obtaining a specific size doesn’t allow the surgeon to meet the patient’s other aesthetic goals.For this reason, locking into a specific size isn’t always a good idea.Results are often better when a surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the Operating Room.
In your case, I think it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic goals with your surgeon.Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the Operating Room, so he can meet your aesthetic goals.It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast size that you’re considering, but don’t become married to an absolute number.

Cup Size and Implant Volume

Your question is one of the most frequently asked on RealSelf.com. There are many things that could be discussed in detail, but I will simply mention. You need to visit a few expert surgeons that are willing to say 'no' to your requests if they are unreasonable.

First, your height and weight are irrelevant to sizing an implant properly for a woman. Looking 'heavy and disproportionate' are subjective terms, and no one could ever know what that means to you. However, 500 cc implants in someone 5'2'' would put you into that category by my standards.

No one can assure you with reasonable accuracy what size bra you'll be wearing with a given implant size; there are too many variables in the bra garment business and just as many in how your body tissues will react in terms of change in size and shape of your breasts after augmentation. Providing photos of clothed models is a much more useful tool to guide a surgeon.

Implant size should first be prioritized towards your anatomic measurements of your breast and chest. This is known as dimensional planning, and is the most important way to minimize both early and late post operative complications. It is an objective technique that is reproducible. Once the implant dimensions are determined, then the patient's aesthetic goals are factored in, usually affecting a change toward a larger device.

Remember you are young, and you need to think about the long term, not just today.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Cup size explained

This is a very common question. The reality is there is no way to determine what YOUR cup size will be for a few reasons.
First, cup size is determined by each store and even in each store you will find different cups that fit you. For example, Victoria's Secret has different lines and each line has a slightly different fit. There is even a store in Manhattan that will tell you you are a C cup even if you are flat chested just to give you an ego boost.
Second, each patient likes a cup size that fits HER best in her own opinion. I've had patients who are clearly in the A cup range who don't mind "swimming" in their big bras filled with "chicken cutlets" and I've had other patients who were clearly in the D cup range who like the look of "popping out" of their bras so they wear B cup bras.
Since cup size is both made up by stores and based on the individual style of the patient, it is impossible to predict.
With that said, I use cup size as an idea of what style patients want. Meaning, if a patient is an A cup and says "I want a D," it's a certain implant, whereas the same patient saying "I want a B" is a different implant.
Hope that helps.
Dr. Freiman

Implant size

What implant size should I chose is a very commonly asked question and of course very important. In general, size is best be determined during an in person consultation. The factors included in this determination can be chest size, amount of breast tissue initially present, skin elasticity, and of course, a patient’s expectations.
I will say that in general, one year post op, when women are asked if they like their size, do they wish they went larger or smaller, more than 50% of women will wish they went bigger. Just keep this in mind.

Achieving Goals with Breast Augmentation?

In regards to breast implant size/profile that will best help achieve your goals, I think it will be in your best interest to spend more time with your plastic surgeon. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "full C or small D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging may also be helpful during this communication process.

Regardless of what you might hear, there is no reliable correlation between volume of breast implant used and increase in breast size achieved.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

450 cc implants will get you E or F

At size 32 A each 100 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. 450 cc implants would take you up 4 1/2 cup sizes to a size E or F but will not fit retro-pectorally, would dislocate inferiorly and laterally requiring revision. I always recommend small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

450 HP

I would think this is way to big for your frame. It will not look natural. If you want people to stare then 450HP is for you. I agree that you should seek out a few other consultations. If you want a C cup then a 350 MP will get you there for sure and depending on your frame it may be a D. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

That sounds like too much volume

Thanks for your question. Without seeing a picture and measuring your base diameter, it will be hard to comment. Given your petite frame, it is unlikely that a 450CC HP implant will fit well on your chest wall. It will be too wide and spill out into your arm pit. The HP implant also has a very round look and will cause compression of the breast gland. This can lead to rippling. I think I would recommend you get another perspective from another plastic surgeon. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is an ASAPS member. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

450 cc should do it!

Girl22: At 5'2" and 110 pounds, I would characterize you as petite. I think 450 to 500 cc will get you beyond the full C/small D range and into the large D range. It is true that you lose a bit of volume from the sizer in your bra to the implant under the muscle but not that much.

Without the benefit of an exam or photos, I guessing 400 cc will get you to thee C/D range. Good luck!

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon