How Does Yoga Affect Breast Implants?

Interested in getting breast implants but do vinyasa power yoga. After some research have learned  that even months (or a year) after a breast aug the pec muscles could get sore, and it could dis-form them if they are under the muscle. 

Breast Augmentation and Yoga?

In the long term, you should be able to participate in all forms of strenuous activity, including yoga. You are correct in that the sub muscular breast implant position does provide significant advantages for most patients. However, the potential for flexion or animation “deformity” does exist with breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) position. In other words, with flexion of the pectoralis major muscle, you may feel/see the breast implants change in shape or position.

Again, despite this potential downside, I believe that it is in most patients best interest undergoing breast augmentation surgery to have breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) position.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Yoga and Breast Implants

I´ve been married to a Yoga instructor for over 10 years, She had breast implants put in around 12 years ago, silicone implants and the technique used was subfascial.

3 kids and many Yoga poses later, she has never had any issues with them.

I would suggest if you are planning on getting an augmentation to ask your surgeon to place them under the muscle´s fascia, or you can always come to me.

Hope this helps :)

Carlos Castaneda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

How Does Yoga Affect Breast Implants?

Although I generally prefer to place the implants and the partial sub muscular position, the position that may be best for you is a decision between you and your surgeon.  I have placed many implants into women who actively do yoga. I feel the most important component is to protect the implants in the early postoperative period. Once this has been accomplished, my patients that do yoga long term with breast implants and place, all to do extremely well.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Yoga and Breast Implants

Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for postoperative care. Light activities generally can resume 3 to 5 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can resume 1 to 6 months post surgery. Consult your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast implants in yoga enthusiasts

Hi yoga person, I have placed breast implants in the sub-muscular position in many yoga enthusiasts and yoga instructors, as well as many active women in all types of sports. It is correct that there is some flattening and distortion of the breast in "pectoralis working", activities but this is not a problem for the vast majority of women. There are studies that show that sub-muscular implants do not weaken the pectoralis in the long run although they are weak in the first twelve weeks or so after surgery.There are so many advantages regarding the long term performance with implants in the sub-muscular versus the sub-glandular position, including a very significant improvement in the rate of capsular contracture as well as in breast shape and diminished implant visibility, particularly over time. The breast can be imaged more effectively with the implant in the sub-pectoral position and if needed, biopsies are more easily performed. If you are looking at a small implant and have some breast tissue, the pre-pectoral placement can minimize someof these cosmetic trade offs but the data regarding capsular contracture is significant. (BTW I do planks and all types of exercise activities and understand your concerns).

BBA

It's a trade-off. Going under the muscle has advantages in terms of better coverage, but if you use your pecs a lot, you will have animation - movement of your implants. If your pecs are VERY strong (like in body builders), then can even displace the implants significantly. I wouldn't recommend implants under the muscle in a body builder, but if your pec activity is light, it's quite reasonable. You just have to understand than you will have temporary movement of the implants (animation) with activity. You should discuss this with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Yoga and breast implants

Most breast implants these days are placed under the muscle to better disguise the implant. It is always possible that when you flex your chest (i.e., pectoralis) muscles, that the implants may temporarily move. This can happen for any activity; vacuuming, yoga, etc.

I have many active patients. Many of my patients do yoga, tri-athelete events, swimming, running and they do well with the implants under the muscle but there may be some temporary movement. The trade off is better coverage of the implant when under the muscle and I think it is worth it.