Very visible scars after upper eyelid surgery-scar revision? (Photo)

I recently posted a question asking if I had a "dog ear" on the ends of my upper eyelid scars. Thank you for the responses. I am showing the scars on both eyes at almost 6 mos. after surgery. The scars do not fall into the creases, and I am very self- conscious of them. Would scar revision remove more skin? I feel like there is no extra skin to spare on my lids now. Would steroid shots help? I am very sorry at this point that I did not travel further to another surgeon to have this done.

Visible scars after eyelid surgery

It is hard to definitively diagnose a problem from a picture and I would recommend seeing an oculo-plastic surgeon which is an ophthalmologist with a concentration in plastic surgery specifically around the eyelids.

In addition, the healing process takes a full year. The milestones are at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and a year.

That being said, your incision does seem to be raised. I would recommend possibly getting a steroid or Flurauracil injection to help break up some of the scar tissue that has formed. I would be cautious with laser treatments, as they may tighten the skin even more if not done correctly. 

Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Visible scars

At this stage of the recovery, I would try a steroid injection into the raised, firm scars. These injections can frequently make the firmness and raised aspect of the scars resolve.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid scars following blepharoplasty

The upper eyelid skin tends to heal very nicely following upper eyelid blepharoplasty.  The skin is thin and generally has favorable elasticity for proper healing.  Unfortunately, even in the best executed surgical procedures, scarring can still occur.  It is still early in the healing process and I think that scar revision is a little premature without trying some other less invasive things before undertaking another surgical procedure.  I would suggest a dilute concentration of steroid injected into the wound and perhaps silicone gel applications to the wound for several weeks.  Allow the scar to fully mature as well. 

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroids may or may not be appropriate.

The scars can also be revised.  The photos you provide are with the eyes closed which of course expose the scars.  Most of the time when we speak and interact with other people, the eyes are open.  How are the scars when the eyes are visible?

Scar poost bleph

since you are only 6 months out you could use some steroid eyecreams to try and get the scars to settle down.The haeling/maturation phase can take a year or more.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon