What can be done with sagging skin around the mouth? (Photo)

I am noticing folds or sagging skin around the corners of my mouth. ls there a way to correct the problem without a facelift? I'm 38.

Sagging skin around the mouth

Often times, excess skin around the mouth is from a loss of volume in the mid-face.  There are two things that I would recommend:

1. Adding volume with fillers in the mid-face, usually with fillers or fat
2. Fractionated CO2 laser

I recommend seeking out a Board-Certified plastic surgeon who will accurately examine your facial anatomy and formulate a plan tailored to your needs.  Good luck! 

Sagging skin around the mouth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

2. Fractionated CO2 laser

Skin Tightening for Lower Face Area

Thanks for your question and thanks for sending in the photo as it helps. You need to have a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn all of the treatment options for you. At 38 years old, a face lift can be on the table but there are plenty of non-invasive skin tightening procedures that can be done here including both the fractional ultrasound (Ultherapy) and the radiofrequency (RF) devices. Ultherapy can give significant tightening and lifting in this area – one treatment with results noticeable within three months in most everyone treated. RF devices have become much more sophisticated and do significant tightening in this area — the Venus Legacy, the EndyMed 3Deep, and others work very well here.
Another non-invasive option that some may consider in this area is the use of fillers. We can use Belotero, Juvederm, and Restylane in this area with very nice results in minimizing the sagging noted. A new product which is now FDA approved is called Restylane Silk, and is used the most in areas around the mouth, as you have here.
So consult the right doctor, and find out all of your treatment options.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin Tightening for Lower Face Area

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

You have several non-surgical options that could improve your appearance

Your non-surgical options are dictated by your specific needs, which may include any of the below measures:
1) improving your wrinkles: Botox
2) improving your loss of volume: Radiesse
3) improving your texture: Cool Helium Plasma resurfacing.
4) improving skin looseness: VIORA REACTION radiofrequency treatment
5) improving skin discoloration: IPL
A consultation would be necessary to customize your treatment plan. You may visit the following link to see examples of these procedures.

1) improving your wrinkles: Botox
5) improving skin discoloration: IPL

Non-surgical treatment options for sagging skin around the mouth

An exam or photos of your entire face would be helpful to give you the best advice.  In general, non-surgical treatment options to help improve sagging skin around the mouth would include fillers and possibly Ultherapy.  Surgical treatment normally would provide the most improvement, but some people may not be good candidates for surgery yet or may just not desire surgery.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging skin

Thanks for the question, in young woman like you we typically do two things. First we lift from above with filler in the midface and cheeks and than we can tighten the skin with either laser or ulthera. These combinations can rejuvenate non surgically quite well 

Sagging skin

Sagging around the Mouth / Lower Third of the Face

Thank you very much for your question. Based on your age and desired results, you may be a great candidate for a Novathreads procedure. This is minimally invasive procedure that places dissolvable PDO threads, done under local anesthesia that can lift the jowl and improve the jawline.  Results can last anywhere from 6 months to a year and can be repeated easily for maintenance of the correction. 

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Sagging skin around the mouth

There are options to improve the concerned area around your mouth without surgery. One option being Ultherapy. It is a non-invasive procedure with no down time. It can tighten and lift the skin. To find the best treatment plan for you, I would schedule a consultation to get a personalized assessment of your concerned areas.

Sagging skin around the mouth

What can be done with sagging skin around the mouth?

Since you are young I would try dermal fillers first before considering a facelift.  Dermal fillers can be placed in the cheeks to lift the cheek, and into the nasolabial fold line which you show in your photo.

Please consult an expert experienced board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.  There is a wide variation in the scale and experience of physicians who do dermal filler injections.  You want an expert to give you a visible effective result.

Sagging folds around mouth/ Ultherapy and or Dermal Fillers

Ultherapy is the non invasive way to tighten, tone and rebuild collagen to pull back the cheeks. It is the sagging cheek that is the cause of sagging skin around the mouth called the marionette lines.  
Dermal filler injections can also inflate the cheeks as well as fill in the jowl, nasal labial and marionette areas.
I would suggest having an Ultherapy treatment to pull back the area and then determine if dermal fillers will
be needed as well.

be needed as well.

Filler around the mouth.

For minor lines and depressions around the mouth, fillers are a great option. They offer instant results with virtually no downtime. These work great for minor to moderate smile lines or puppet's lines. For those that are a little more accentuated, better options exist such as Silhouette Lift, Minilift, and Liquid Facelift.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler around the mouth.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon