How do I correct crepey neck at 30? (Photo)

I'm 30 years old and I'm already developing crepey neck skin. I have always had a low BMI as well as thin skin. What steps should I be takin to correct or slow the progress?

Slowing progression of aging neck skin

Hi bsg8686.  Increasing the thickness of your dermis will diminish the amount of crepe-ness.  This can be achieved most efficiently by Radiofrequency Microneedling by Profound.  It is a single treatment that is FDA approved and shown to increase collagen, elastin and hyaluronic content in the skin.  It is performed under local anesthetic and carries less than a week of downtime.  Other methods that are effective are a series of chemical peels, regular microneedling, and laser resurfacing.  Topical agents that are necessary include sunscreen to prevent further degradation of the skin and Retin A to support cell turnover and collagen production in the skin.  There is research that show that oral hyaluronic acid and oral collagen supplements are supportive of good skin-professional grade Xymogen supplements have human clinical trials that quantify the benefits--they are only available through practioners, so look for a Xymogen provider online.  Starting at the earliest signs of aging will help you look younger for longer.  Good luck!

Neck skin

Hello!

1. Use sunscreen constantly, stay out of the sun and tanning bed. Most important

2. Treat skin with peels, and moisturize

3. Consider botox to the platysma muscle

You cannot change genetics, and thin skin will show crepe like wrinkles much more than thick skin. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

What can be done for crepey neck skin?

Thanks for your question. I do see that you have some midline, upper neck looseness from this photo. However, the rest of the skin:  around the mouth, the jaw line, the rest of your neck and your decollete - appear to be tight and smooth - both in color and texture.  I also get the sense that you are a health-conscience person, and I would recommend therefore that you continue to make wise choices with diet, exercise, use of quality skin care products, and UV precautions. I don't believe you would find much/any benefit from botox as botox will only have the effect of softening "platismal bands" when they are present, and you do not appear to have platismal bands; your problem seems to be entirely, as you call it: crepeness. I am finding great success with Intensif radiofrequency micro needling with PRP (platelet rich plasma) treatments for thickening, tightening and rejuvenating skin of the face, neck, chest and hands. The treatment is effective and reliable; and the downtime is usually an hour or so.

How do I correct creepy neck at 30?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. At your age I would start with some healthy skin care habits - drink plenty of water during the day, follow a daily skin care regimen incorporating the use of retinols and sunblock, and schedule regular chemical peels to further increase collagen formation and a tightening effect to the tissues.  Hope this helps.

Botox

You might want to try Botox or a non invasive tightening first. It looks like you may have loose skin as well as a possible lax platysma so if surgical tightening is desired, platysmaplasty should be done  with lateral neck tightening as well for the best surgical result. But I would try non surgical approaches first.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Less is more.

This looks like facial positioning.  So don't position yourself this way!.  It is highly improbable that at age 30 you need a face and neck lift.  For some individuals, a central platysmaplasty with a small incision under the chin can improve these.  Botox treatment into the platysma can also help.

Neck Lift Complications

Redundant neck skin sometimes can appear in early age based on the genetic disposition. Getting close to ideal BMI would be the most logical way to get rid of the limited neck folds related to the low BMI and thin skin. However, if this is not feasible or would not provide the intended benefit a limited lift with the incision hidden around and behind the ear lobe, with or without the mini facelift, depending on the findings on careful examination, may serve you the best and will offer a very long lasting solution. You may wish to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in the face area for a more conclusive advice.

Good Luck

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Neck

To protect your neck it is best to start a medical skin care program which includes sun protection, Retin A (or retinol), and vitamin C.

Certain lasers can also help thicken the dermis and improve neck skin.

How to treat skin of neck in 30 year old?

I would recommend trying one of the radio frequency treatments, such as Fractora, to help improve the skin of your neck.  I would not recommend anything surgically at this point.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon