Sagging skin fold under jaw after necklift and lower face lift. T incision revision has been offered. Advice please! (Photo)

After a neck lift and lower face lift, I am left with a noticeable fold of skin under on my neck which is causing me some embarrassment. The revision offered by my surgeon is a T incision under the chin to pull the excess skin inward and suture it. Is there a better revision option that will not leave scarring on my neck? I am 14 months post surgery.

Revision Neck Lift

You appear to have redundant skin and platysma that needs to be addressed. Although this can sometimes be improved with a platysmaplasty through an incision under the chin and "redraping" the skin after extensive undermining. A "T incision" would be a last resort and should rarely if ever be done due to visible scarring in the skin of the neck.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision lift with platysmaplasty

I'm not sure what your doctor did with his surgery, or if a platysmaplasty was done.  i would not offer a T incision because of the risk of visible scarring.  I would consider a platysmaplasty with a revision lift, but I don't know if this was already attempted.  Its best of seek another opinion if you are hesitant about your surgeon's advice.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck folds after face and neck lift

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift result.

• Although these folds look like skin, I believe they are folds of loose platysma muscle.
  • If so, the revision will require re-opening the incision in front of the ear, suturing down the muscle and may require an incision under the chin as well.
  • These are a common problem after a face and neck lift - partly because it is a difficult area to see and treat during surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS