Is It Okay to Clean Dried Blood Inside Nose a Day After Rhinoplasty?

I just had my rhinoplasty done yesterday and my doctor didn't put in any packing because he said that there was very minimal bleeding and it would make me more comfortable. So because of this, I had quite a bit of discharge and now that the bleeding has stopped, I have a lot of dried up blood inside my nostril. I've read that you can clean with hydrogen peroxide and water but I was wondering if the day after rhinoplasty is too soon to clean it? I don't want to injure anything in my nose...

Post-operative wound care

After rhinoplasty surgery, many patients will experience crusting and dried blood along their incision lines. It is safe to gently clean just inside the nose with half-strength hydrogen peroxide and to also use nasal saline spray to help with the intranasal crusting. This is advised to begin on the day after surgery. Antibiotic ointment may also be applied to the incision lines twice daily for the first week to help accelerate healing.

Use dilute hydrogen peroxide by moistening a Q-tip and gently treat the crusts on the incision lines to help aid in their removal. However, overly aggressive cleansing of the area can irritate the incisions and may cause additional bleeding. Keeping the wounds clean can reduce discomfort and make suture or splint removal more comfortably. Saline nasal spray can be used several times per day to help with keeping the nasal passageways clean.

Dried blood in the nose is normal after rhinoplasty

It is completely normal to have dried blood in the nose the day after rhinoplasty. Before you do anything, I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to see what his/her recommendation would be. While some surgeons encourage nasal hygiene during the first few days after surgery, others prefer that patients not insert anything inside the nose for the first few weeks. Personally, I usually see my patients the first day after surgery and clean out any dried blood. I continue to closely follow them for the first couple of weeks. I also encourage my patients to use saline nasal spray and allow them to clean the area OUTSIDE the nose with hydrogen peroxide. I discourage my patients from cleaning inside the nose because of risk of disrupting the healing process or stirring up more bleeding. Hope this helps!

Dr.Sunder

Sarmela Sunder, MD

Peroxide on a Q-Tip is recommended to dissolve dried blood in the lower nose after rhinoplasty surgery.

We suggest our patients start using peroxide on an applicator when all discharge has stopped, typically 1-2 days postoperative. The moistened Q-Tip may be placed into the nostril, just to the end of the cotton tip, and it is twirled like a baton while holding it between the thumb and index finger.Hope this helps.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning Nose After Surgery

I instruct all of my patients to clean their nostrils with half-strength hydrogen peroxide using Q-tips. We go over this preoperatively and also do it for them the first time when they return for an office visit the day after surgery.

The method we teach is to dip a Qtip in hydrogen peroxide diluted by half with water. Our patients may insert the Qtip into the nose - the length of the cotton of the Qtip only. We instruct they should insert the Qtip low and to the side, where there generally are no incisions. They then twirl or roll the Qtip around the entire nostril, then repeat the process with a dry Qtip to absorb whatever blood has been loosened. This is to be done 2-3 times per day.

When the nostrils have been narrowed by a base reduction, I generally insist the patient come for a return visit the day after surgery so that I can show them and do it for them the first day. In these cases the patient is a bit more tender and understandably nervous about doing it incorrectly or damaging something, so we bring them in and I do it the first time. In patients who did not have base reduction, if they and I are confident that they can do this, then the day-after office visit is optional.

Daniel G. Becker, MD
Voorhees Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning the inside of the nose one day after a rhinoplasty

It is best to follow your surgeons instructions first. It is acceptable to place saline on a Q-tip up inside the nose in the first few days after the procedure to help with crusts.

You can clean the area and should follow your surgeon's advice on how he/she likes this to be done.  The most important issue to be very careful and gentle.  Best wishes.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Cleaning nose

Yes you can. I typically see all my patients on their first post op day to show them how to clean the dried blood from their nostrils. You want to get rid of the dry crusts which clog you up but not start new bleeding. Saline spray can help as well.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning the nose after rhinoplasty

Yes. Patients should clean their nose after surgery. Use Q-tips and hydrogen peroxide several times a day. You can use water but its not as good. It will take several cleaning before all the mucous and dried blood have been removed. It gets easier every day as the amount of nasal discharge diminishes, you become more confident and the initial crusts are finally all removed. The riskof moving the nose and causing it to change its shape are very minimal and a reasonable person isn't going to be so aggressive.

Post Rhinoplasty Cleaning

The best thing would be to gently clean the area with a Qtip dipped in saline (salt water). Place a small amount of antibiotic ointment, such as Bacitracin,  in the nostril twice a day. The moisture from the ointment helps loosen present scabbing and prevents new scabs from forming.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Best not to touch inside of nose after Rhinoplasty

Without specific instructions from your surgeon, it's best that you not place q tips or anything else inside your nose in an attempt to clean it right after a Rhinoplasty.  You could disrupt stitches or cause a nose bleed.  Better that you go have one of the nurses clean out your nose and give you specific post Rhinoplasty cleaning instructions.