9 days post op of Breast Augmentation, when can I start sleeping flat on my back rather than propped up at 45 degree angle?

I got my breasts augmented 9 days ago, and the whole sleeping at a 45 degree angle, basically sitting up, is really starting to take its tole on my neck and back. I'm so uncomfortable that I wake up so many times during the night trying to reposition pillows and such. I know my plastic surgeon will give me the ok to sleep on my sides at some point, but when can I lay down without being propped up???

Sleeping Position after Breast Augmentation

I instruct my patients to sleep elevated with four to five pillows behind their back for the first three days following surgery (and to sleep on their back for the first three weeks following surgery). After these three weeks, they are permitted to sleep on their sides.However, every doctor has different protocols so be sure to speak with your doctor to find out his exact instructions for you!

You should really discuss your post-op care with your surgeon because every doctor has their own protocol.  With that said, I typically like my patients to sleep elevated with a couple pillows behind their back for about 3-4 days.  They can sleep on their back after that and on their side after a few weeks, possibly supporting their breast with a pillow.  Your surgeon's office should be able to help so calling them may be a good idea.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping upright

I don't think that there is any reason you couldn't be sleeping on your back right now. Elevating your head for the first day or two is suggested by some surgeons to potentially help with swelling. But you should be able to sleep flat on your back by now without any concerns. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping flat

At this point in your recovery I think that you can start sleeping flat now. The best person to ask about this is your plastic surgeon. Every plastic surgeon has a protocol for his or her patients after surgery.

Sleeping upright after breast augmentation

Sleeping on a few pillows can lessen the pull of the shoulders on the chest muscles making the first few days after a breast augmentation more comfortable. It is best to follow the advice of your surgeon as he or she has a specific protocol to obtain the best results in their hands.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

First Rule: Do as your surgeon recommends. Everybody's opinion on this is different. I let my augmentation patients sleep on their backs post op day 1. There is no good data that says one way is better than the other

Voodoo

This is like bras, every doc is different but your docs whole gameplan is important to follow so please contact them

I got my breasts augmented 9 days ago, and the whole sleeping at a 45 degree angle, basically sitting up, is really starting to

I let my patients sleep on their back whenever they feel comfortable. I doubt there is any advantage to sleep elevated at this time. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

When can I start sleeping flat on my back rather than propped up?

First of all thank you for your question.  Generally I tell my patients to sleep propped up for the first 3-5 days. Then after that time frame they may sleep on there back flat.  I would recommend not side sleeping for approx. 3 weeks. As always I would advise you to follow your surgeons protocol and if you have questions or concerns make sure to discuss this with him/her. Best of Luck.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

When can I stop sleeping at a 45 degree angle following my breast augmentation?

I will generally permit my augmentation patient to lay and sleep in any comfortable position on the fourth day post surgery. 

David A. Ross, MD (retired)