Fluid aspiration after Gynecomastia surgery?

I had gynecomastia surgery almost 2 weeks ago, and almost immediately noticed fluid movement around the breast. A week after the surgery my surgeon thought aspiration would be good, so I had fluid aspiration that day. I had 100ccs of fluid taken out, and 5 days later, today, it seems to be coming back the same as it was. Is this normal? I'm scheduled for another checkup in a few days and will another aspiration fix this? Thanks

Common occurrence

This is relatively common. In the past, many surgeons wild use drains but this is not typical today. This may result in a higher incidence of seromas (fluid collection) but they tend to resolve with repeated aspiration. 

Seroma after Gynecomastia Surgery

Fluid collections can certainly form where the fat/breast tissue was removed. Some patients require frequent aspirations. I usually recommend frequent follow up and aspirations as needed (usually no more than every 2-3 days initially). If the fluid collection is not appropriately resolved a scar tissue capsule can form around the fluid and excision of the capsule is then necessary. So I recommend you get it resolved before this can occur.

Best Regard,
Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD

Fluid aspiration after Gynecomastia surgery

Fluid collection in the free space formed due to removal of the gland and fat occurs following surgery in 8 to 10 % of the patients.
at times it requires multiple aspirations but it invariably resolves.
always keep your surgeon informed and organise regular followups.
are you wearing the compression garment?

Fluid Aspiration After Gynecomastia Surgery

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.
If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

The risk for seroma is around 10%. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Seroma and aspiration

Aspiration and sometimes repeated is the treatment of choice initially if you have fluid after gynecomastia surgery. Best of luck.