I had a rhinoplasty 2 days ago and both my eyes won't stop watering, is that normal?

I called my doctors office they recommended eye ointment it helped a little but I still have them water even when I close them . I have packing in my nose and a splint and the doctor had corrected my deviatedseptum too

Eyes Watering After Rhinoplasty Happens to Most

This is quite common after rhinoplasty. If packing was placed, it may be more common. This often occurs because the eye's normal "drainage system," located in the nose, is temporarily stopped up after surgery. When the tears have nowhere to go, they collect in your eye. Tears are your eyes' natural way of lubricating themselves, so while you're not producing any more tears than usual, they're simply finding a new way to leave the eye. Best of luck with the remainder of your recuperation.

Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Very common to have this after rhinoplasty.  Swelling and/or packing inside the nose can temporarily obstruct the drainage system that goes from the eye to the nose.  There are nasal medications that can help especially following removal of the packing.  

Watery eyes are normal after rhinoplasty.

Congratulations on your rhinoplasty! The medical term for the tearing you are experiencing is "epiphora" and it almost always happens in the first 2-3 days after septorhinoplasty, then resolves spontaneously. No treatment is necessary.

When the lower half of the nasolacrimal apparatus is obstructed because of swelling, the tears can't drain as efficiently into your nose via the normal route and therefore well-up in the eyes. This also commonly occurs when you have a cold or sinus infection, and we also see it commonly after someone breaks their nose or has rhinoplasty. In other words, any condition that causes swelling of the nose and nasal tissues will cause epiphora. 

It is usually not caused by silicone splints (tearing typically improves 1-2 days before splint removal), but their presence in the nose postoperatively can aggravate epiphora. Old fashioned "nasal packing", on the other hand, definitely contributes and amplifies epiphora until removed.

Good luck!  -Randolph Capone, MD, FACS

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 2 days after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Watery eyes after rhinoplasty

Watery eyes after rhinoplasty, especially if your surgeon used nasal packing, is common and will go away soon.  The tear ducts get blocked by packing or swelling (or both).  Call your surgeon and let them know if you still have questions.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Watering eyes

The watery eyes are likely due to the packing blocking the nasolacrimal duct opening in the nose.  As soon as the packs are removed, your watery eyes should improve.  Since I didn't examine you or perform the surgery, it is important you maintain close followup with your surgeon and express any concerns with their office.

Wish you the best!!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon