Chalazion(stye) Surgery One Month and a Half Ago, Swelling Woun't Go Down, What Can I Do?

I had a huge stye in my left eye for 2 months, it didn't heal so i had to do surgery, I used drops and ointments before and after the surgery but the problem is after all this time my eye doesn't look normal.It is a lot better than before the surgery but it 's still swollen and red an there is still a little bump not in the same place. I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago because I was afraid I was getting another stye and she told me the cartilage of the lid is still inflamed,is this true?what can i do?

Chalazion surgery

You certainly may be correct that you are getting another stye or chalazion adjacent to the previous surgical site. Your doctor may also be right (except that there is no "cartilage" in the eyelid) but the tarsus may still be inflamed.   Additional rounds of antibiotic drops, lid scrubs, and hot compresses are surely indicated.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Almost all chalazia respond to injected kenalog.

Traditionally these were treated with a surgical procedure.  Even now, doctors make more money operating on these lesions than treating them medically.  However, injection with kenalog is remarkably effective.  You eyelid has residual swelling.  Time for healing can be very helpful.

Chalazion Management

A chalazion occurs when eyelid mucous glands become clogged. This results in cystic lesions on the under surface of the eyelid which can cause pain and discomfort.

The vast majority of chalazions respond to conservative management. In most cases, this involves warm compresses and antibiotic ointments. Under these circumstances, these lesions point to the surface and drain spontaneously. In some cases, lesions are persistent and surgical drainage is necessary.

The majority of patients respond rapidly to surgical treatment. Rarely, swelling and redness may persist following chalazion drainage. In some cases, secondary procedures may be necessary, but the vast majority of patients continue to improve with conservative management.

It appears that your post-operative course has been extremely complicated. Under these circumstances, it's important to be patient and maintain close contact with your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that results in the resolution of this problem.

Conservative

Conservative measures include giving the eyelid some time to calm down after this acute inflammatory response. While surgical options aid in relief of the obstructed oil gland which caused the stye, I would also consider steroid injection of kenalog 10 or 40 to help. Consult an ophthalmologist or eyelid (Oculoplastics) specialist locally to help discuss your options in person!

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Swelling and Inflammation after 1 month

There still exists inflammation and swelling that should resolve with additional time.  Conservative therapy for the time being may be the best medicine.  Your surgeon is in the best position to determine this.