Chalazion(stye) Surgery One Month and a Half Ago, Swelling Woun't Go Down, What Can I Do?

I had a huge stye in my left eye for 2 months, it didn't heal so i had to do surgery, I used drops and ointments before and after the surgery but the problem is after all this time my eye doesn't look normal.It is a lot better than before the surgery but it 's still swollen and red an there is still a little bump not in the same place. I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago because I was afraid I was getting another stye and she told me the cartilage of the lid is still inflamed,is this true?what can i do?

Doctor Answers 4

Chalazion surgery

  You certainly may be correct that you are getting another stye or chalazion adjacent to the previous surgical site. Your doctor may also be right (except that there is no "cartilage" in the eyelid) but the tarsus may still be inflamed.   Additional rounds of antibiotic drops, lid scrubs, and hot compresses are surely indicated.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Almost all chalazia respond to injected kenalog.

Traditionally these were treated with a surgical procedure.  Even now, doctors make more money operating on these lesions than treating them medically.  However, injection with kenalog is remarkably effective.  You eyelid has residual swelling.  Time for healing can be very helpful.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 22 reviews


Conservative measures include giving the eyelid some time to calm down after this acute inflammatory response. While surgical options aid in relief of the obstructed oil gland which caused the stye, I would also consider steroid injection of kenalog 10 or 40 to help. Consult an ophthalmologist or eyelid (Oculoplastics) specialist locally to help discuss your options in person!

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Eyelid Swelling and Inflammation after 1 month

   There still exists inflammation and swelling that should resolve with additional time.  Conservative therapy for the time being may be the best medicine.  Your surgeon is in the best position to determine this.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.