Can I take Benadryl after rhinoplasty?

Can I take Benadryl after rhinoplasty during recovery? I think it will help me sleep. I also think it might prevent me from sneezing due to seasonal allergies. Thank you.

Typically a safe medication but may make you drowsy

Benadryl is typically a very safe medication to take. It may make you drowsy however and is commonly used as a sleep aid. As always, it is important to make sure there are not any drug interactions so please check with your surgeon or pharmacist.

Rhinoplasty medication

Hello! Benadryl should not be a problem and does not interact with narcotics but it is always a good idea to check with your surgeon. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Benadryl after rhinoplasty

It is acceptable to  take Benadryl after a rhinoplasty procedure.  Its always best to check with your operative surgeon about any medications taken before or after cosmetic surgery

Benadryl

Thank you for your question.I would definitely consult with your surgeon first, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to take Benadryl after a rhinoplasty if it helps with your symptoms. Just don’t take it if you plan to drive, as you said it can help you sleep because it makes you drowsy.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You can take benadryl after a  rhinoplasty. You should always check with your surgeon regarding any medications.

Benadryl

Taking benadryl after a surgery is typically not a problem.  I would check with your surgeon though, just in case.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Benadryl after rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. There should not be any contraindications to using benadryl after a routine nasal surgery. Please be advised however, that while it may make you drowsy and help you sleep, it is unlikely to relieve any nasal congestion so early in the process, which is typically the main complaint immediately after surgery. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Benadryl following rhinoplasty surgery

Thanks for your question. Be sure to check with your surgeon, but this shouldn't be a problem at all. Benadryl will indeed help you sleep and treat allergy symptoms. Also, narcotic pain medications can make you itchy; Benadryl can help with that as well. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Benadryl After Rhinoplasty

Benadryl should be fine for seasonal allergies after rhinoplasty. Some patients' noses do get too dry inside with antihistamines in general, so please check with your physician for approval before taking anything after surgery. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon