How Soon After a C-section Can I Have a Tummy Tuck?

I am 46 yrs. old and I have had 4 c-sections and another c-section for a hysterectomy last year in May 2008. Would it be too soon to consider having a tummy tuck and breast augmentation?

Since my last c-section/hysterectomy, I now have this sagging/pouch stomach and I can feel scar tissue inside under the incision and in the lower stomach region. Would this scar tissue also be dealt with a tummy tuck procedure?

C-Section after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Each person is different, as it varies case by case. However, you can have tummy tuck one year after C section. I hope this helps! 

C-Section after tummy tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

How soon after delivery can i have a tummy tuck? 6 months

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, you need to wait at least 6 months after your delivery to have a tummy tuck. Your weight needs to be stable and your not planning on having any more kids as future pregnancy might affect the result of a tummy tuck.

I hope this helps. Best wishes! (Dr. Salameh, Plastic Surgeon, Bowling Green, KY)

Tummy Tuck after a C-Section

Thank you for your question. I generally recommend waiting around 3-5 months to undergo a tummy tuck following childbirth, as long as you’re not planning on having any additional children. It’s important to give your body time to return to rebuild strength after pregnancy and also lose any additional weight that was gained during your pregnancy. It’s also important to note that women should not undergo their tummy tuck procedures until they are done having children, as additional pregnancies can negatively impact their plastic surgery results.

Tummy Tuck after a C-Section

Tummy tuck after multiple c-sections

Thank you for your question.  I generally recommend waiting at least 6 months after childbirth, either by c-section or vaginal delivery, before undergoing tummy tuck.  The scar tissue from your prior lower abdominal operations will likely not present a significant impediment to successful tummy tuck surgery, though your resulting scar will be quite a bit longer than your c-section scar.  Good luck!

Tummy tuck after multiple c-sections

How soon after a C-section can I have a tummy tuck?

If you are done having children it would be best to wait at least 8 months to undergo a tummy tuck. This gives your body enough time to return to it's prepregnancy condition and hopefully lose any additional weight gain during your last pregnancy. A tummy tuck is a very popular operation to recontour the abdomen and remove the irregularities remaining after multiple C-sections. Good luck!

Wait 6 months.

Abdominoplasty isn’t recommended immediately following a C-section for a variety of reasons.These include the inability to make aesthetic judgements immediately following pregnancy, the mothers overall health status, and the demands of a newborn child on the mother.
For these reasons, abdominoplasty should be delayed for at least six months following a C-section. After six months the procedure can be performed without difficulty.The abdominal contour is improved by removing excess skin and scar tissue.This procedure is associated with excellent results and high levels of patient satisfaction.

Wait 6 months.

Best to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with surgery. It will also likely be in your best interests to have your child a little older,  and more self-sufficient, prior to proceeding. A few words of advice, I provide my patients may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck after C-section

I think it is very safe to have a tummy tuck.   Previous gynecologic procedures are common place amongst the tummy tuck patients.   You can expect significant improvement in your abdominal scar tissue after this procedure.   I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Tummy Tuck after C-section

Timing of Tummy Tuck after last C-section?

In summary, you had 5 intra-abdominal operations through the same C-section incision, the last being OVER 2.5 years ago and now you want to have a Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation (Mommy Make Over). You are wondering if the timing is safe and if the scar tissue creating the pooch would be dealt with.

In YOUR case, 2.5 years is way more than adequate to go in safely and give you the figure you always wanted. (While every Plastic surgeon has his own criteria, most would agree it would be best to go in when the tummy skin is no longer swollen and inflamed allowing for the maximal removal of excess skin and the easiest operation. That can mean a wait of 4-8 months after the last C-section).

The old C-section scar will be removed along with all the skin below the belly button. Any scar between the lower tummy skin and underlying muscles will be removed at this time.

This is YOUR time. Go for it.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

This is YOUR time. Go for it.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

How soon after c-section for tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

This is controversial and while some surgeons may be willing to perform this at the time of c-section, the vast majority, in my opinion would prefer to defer this for a minimum of 4 months following successful healing and cessation of nursing. A tummy tuck is an excellent technique for improving the appearance of a bad c-section scar.