Should i stop my birth control pills before having plastic surgery?

I will be having a rhinoplasty perfomed in the Dominican Republic in January 2016. Should I stop my birth control pills before ? And if so, when should I stop taking them ?

Birth Control before surgery

Typically birth control does not have to be discontinued for a surgery.  However, there is a slightly higher risk of blood clots in women taking oral contraceptives.  Stopping this medication (or removing it) may lower this risk but it needs to be considered in light of all risk factors in an individual patient. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon.

Birth Control Pills & Surgery

Speak with your surgeon. Estrogen is believed to increase your risk for blood clots so it may be something that your surgeon would prefer assuming that it won't adversely affect your life.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Birth control pills and surgery

There are some studies that suggest using birth control may increase your risk of DVT's/PE's.  Some surgeons recommend that you stop them.  Best to ask yours his opinion.

Birth control pills and surgery

It is generally believed that estrogens like those found in oral contraceptives increase the risk of developing a blood clot. If they can be discontinued without causing a significant disruption in the patient's life we asked them to stop oral contraceptives 2 to 4 weeks before surgery. Discuss this with your surgeon  and follow their advice.

Oral contraceptives have not being scientifically proven to increase surgery risk

Thanks for your question. 

Birth control pills have not being scientifically proven in a high level study to increase surgery risk. There are some studies that show an increase in blood coagulation, and therefor it is thought to be a potential risk into having Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clots forming in your lower limbs) and/or Thromboembolism (blood clots going to your lungs), but again it hasn't been completely demonstrated. 

That said, I always analyze with the patient how much could this affect her life. If the patient is not presently in a relationship or having sexual relations regularly, then why not stop only for that "what if". If it's  not the case, I believe that an unwanted pregnancy is a higher risk. 

Hope this answers your question. 

Feel free to contact us if you have any other doubt. 

Take good care, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernandez Goico, MD