1540 Fractional Laser when predisposed to hypertrophic scarring?

I am thinking of having 1540 Fractional Laser for treatment of sun spots and hormonal brown pigmentation on my face. I have had a lesion removed on my back which resulted in a hypertrophic scar and was wondering if this would be a risk factor in having laser treatment . I know there is risk if predisposed to keloid scarring but not sure if the same for hypertrophic. Thank you in advance. Kellie

Is hypertrophic scarring a contraindication for use of 1540 Fractional Laser

You are correct in that if you have a tendency for keloid formation, you cannot have treatment with the 1540 Fractional Laser, however, there is no contraindication for it's use if you have hypertrophic scarring.  Please advise your practitioner of this tendency, however, as he/she will want to do a test spot to judge your skin's reaction and help determine the proper settings to use for you.

Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Hypertrophic scars versus keloids

Hypertrophic scars are on a spectrum of scarring with keloid formation being the most scarring where the scar goes over and beyond the area of injury. Seek treatment by someone who can reduce this effect. 

Dr Karamanoukian

Fractional Laser and Hypertrophic Scarring

Fractional lasers work great for treating hypertrophic scarring, although any lasers can cause scars. I find that 1540 nm isnt nearly as good as the 1550 Fraxel Dual, Venus Viva or Skinfinity devices. I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hypertrophic scarring with Fractional laser?

I think your skin tone and texture would improve with this treatment, although it is hard to determine without seeing you in person.  I would recommend you try the Clear and Brilliant by Solta. Little to no downtime afterwards, and the results are great! You will need a series of at least 3 treatments, spaced 2-4 weeks apart.

Be well!

#keloids #fraxel #fractionaldiolite

Keloids and Laser

There is little to no risk, since you are not breaking the skin with this type of laser treatment. I would recommend you try the Clear and Brilliant by Solta. Little to no downtime afterwards, and the results are great! You will need a series of at least 3 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart.

Good luck to you

#keloids   #fraxel   #fractionaldiolite