Breast Reduction Recovery

I want to have a breast reduction surgery, but after seeing pictures of patients whose operation went very wrong, I got worried and discouraged. Why do some patients who have breast reduction surgery end up with dead tissue and really awful wounds? How can you prevent that? Is it the doctor's fault? If the operation goes great and the patient follows the post operation treatment correctly, can still this happen? If the doctor I'm seeing is a member of the ISAPS, can I be assured that he won't do anything wrong? Please, I'm really really worried.

Breast reduction surgery complications

Breast reduction surgery removes a large amount of tissue: anywhere from 1-4+ lbs of tissue per side.  When the remaining tissue does not have adequate blood flow, healing problems can occur.  These might range from a small area that is slow to heal, all the way up to losing a nipple.  The major risk factors for healing problems are:
  1. Smoking
  2. Diabetes
  3. Very large breast size
If you have very large breasts, your surgeon may recommend a free nipple reduction, where the nipple is taken off the breast and put back on as a skin graft.  This ensures good blood flow to the nipple in its new position.  

I require my patients to quit smoking before reduction surgery to help minimize risks due to smoking.

Good management of diabetes can help decrease risks as well.  This is evaluated by looking at the hemoglobin A1c level.

In addition, ask your surgeon how many breast reductions he or she does a year, as well as his/her complication rate.  This should give you a better idea of your individual risk of complications after breast reduction surgery.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Bad Results With Breast Reduction

First, most surgeons put their best pictures up on the internet and many patients put their worst disasters on the internet. The end result is that you see the best 10% and the worst 10% but not the middle 80%. Breast reduction surgery has an exceptionally high satisfaction rate, higher than any other procedure that plastic surgeons do.  The reason is that results are immediate, improvement fitting into clothes and comfort walking around is often better only a few days after surgery than it was before surgery, and most people go through surgery without any complications.  Take some time to find a good plastic surgeon who does multiple variations of a breast reduction and who can match the procedure to your body. Find someone you trust and an office you feel comfortable in. Stay away from those who pressure you into surgery and DO NOT SMOKE before your operation.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Recovery

The first thing that breast reduction patients notice is how much lighter their breasts feel as well as the reduction of neck and back pain.  Just the same, after breast reduction surgery, there will be some form of discomfort.  This lessens day by day.  A support bra and pain medications will help.  Within the first two weeks, there is less of a need for pain medication.  The overall recovery of breast reduction depends on the patients' health.  One to two weeks off from work fir a recovery is suggested.  A support bra is used for 6 weeks.  Strenuous activities, exercise and sports are discouraged for the first 6 weeks while the healing tissues have a chance to become stronger.  The swelling will subside over a three month period.  The scars will be red to begin and fade over the next year.  Just like every other surgery, results will vary with each patient.

Grant A. Fairbanks, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction complications

Breast reductions are more advanced level cases in the spectrum of cosmetic cases.  Besides the risk factors of diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure and cholesterol, some of the most important determinant of a necrosis complication is the technical aspect.  Making the nipple base to thin or dissecting underneath the pedicle (bridge) to the nipple can cause significant problems.  Adhering to good techniques and good patient selection gives consistently good results and if there is a complication it is usually small enough that can be handled easily.  Pick a doctor that does a lot of these operations routinely.  Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. The response to the question does not constitute a doctor patient relationship or formal advice.  

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Technique & Breast Reduction Recovery

I prefer to use a minimal incision surgery with a “#vertical” or “#LollipopBreastReduction #scar technique. The benefits of this technique include approximately fifty percent less scarring, a narrower breast, better forward projection and shape, longer lasting improvement, shorter surgery time and less complications.

The initial discomfort post procedure subsides daily and can be controlled with oral medication.
Most patients resume normal activity within two weeks. However full activity, lifting, sports, with no restrictions is safer after 6 weeks Some discomfort, swelling and discoloration of the #breasts are to be expected for several weeks. 

The scars at the incision lines typically become reddish and a few weeks after surgery are raised and firm. In a number of months they become pale and soft. After 8-12 months, the scars are relatively inconspicuous. The #nipples and some areas of the skin may be numb or sensitive after surgery. Sensation may return within a few weeks or months, but may be diminished or overly sensitive.

Your procedure should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Breast Reduction Recovery

Thank you for your question. I applaud you on your thorough research about a breast reduction. Complications in breast reductions can occur, even to the most experienced breast surgeons. However, these can be minimized with careful attention to the "nipple's blood supply" as it is lifted and minimal tension on the closure. Remember that breast reductions also have the highest rate of satisfaction in plastic surgery. I recommend that you see 2-3 board certified plastic surgeons about your breast reduction.

Complications of Breast Reduction Surgery

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear that your friend had some post-operative complications after her breast reduction surgery and I hope that she is doing well.  My first question would be is your friend a nicotine smoker or is she a diabetic?  The reason I ask is that nicotine is one of the leading factors that contributes to tissue necrosis and is closely followed by diabetes.  Patients who are active nicotine smokers or are diabetic have an increased risk of complications, especially wound healing complications.  

In my practice, patient satisfaction with their breast reduction procedure has been tremendous and I am a firm believer that appropriate followup care and patient compliance with post-operative instructions (and restrictions) greatly affects the patient's experience AND their surgical result.  My recommendation to you and anyone who is interested in having a breast reduction procedure is to make sure that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reduction surgeries.  Many patients make the mistake of searching for the best deal, instead of focusing on surgeon experience, surgeon expertise and training.  Speak with your doctor about your concerns and be honest with the plastic surgeon you ultimately choose about your medical and social history (including any past or present nicotine use).  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Breast reduction recovery

Many thanks for your valid question and concerns.

Breast Reduction surgery is a common procedure and in most cases is very successful and without complication. There are risks associated with any surgical procedure including those you referred to such as wound breakdown and infection however if you are fit and well with no history of smoking then you should absolutely get a good result.

ISAPS as with all professional society's provide a degree of assurance as you know that the Plastic surgeon is accredited. It is impossible to guarantee results however ask your surgeon to show you pictures of other breast reduction surgery that hes performed. You should have confidence in your surgeon.

Good Luck

Breast Reduction Recovery

Thank you for your question.  There can be no guarantee that a complication will not occur.  There is risks with every surgery that is performed.  It is great that your seeing a board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Breast reduction surgery are one of the most satisfying surgeries for patients.  See plenty of before and after photos and speak to your surgeon's patients who underwent a breast reduction to help you feel more at ease.  Best Wishes.

BR

Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty patients are among the most satisfied of all plastic surgery patients. Large breasts (macromastia) can often decrease quality of life for a woman. With breast reduction, you can have smaller breasts that sit higher on your chest wall. You will also find relief in your neck and back with the decrease in weight and more ergonomic position of your breasts.
There are several different variations of breast reduction, differing by size, and amount of incisions; procedure; and the results. The different types of reduction techniques include: The wise pattern breast lift, the anchor shaped incision, and the donut mastopexy.
1. The wise pattern breast lift involves an anchor-shaped incision around the natural contour of the breast. To most patients surprise, this scar is mostly hidden under the inferior aspect of the breast. However, the scar around the nipple/areola is visible. Most patients heal this anchor type scar very well and are satisfied with smaller areola in exchange for the scars. This surgery is used when there is a lot of excess skin that needs to be removed in order to lift the breast and give it a more aesthetic shape.
2. Often times, the anchor shaped incision can me diminished to create a lollipop or J shaped incision. This results in some excess skin at the inferior aspect of the breast near the breast crease that will flatten out over a 6 month period. Some patients are willing to tolerate this excess skin for 6 months in exchange for a smaller scar. This is a personal decision that each patient can make.
3. The donut mastopexy involves creating an incision around the areola and removing a doughnut-shaped area of skin. This surgery can be used for patients that need a smaller amount of lifting. This surgery results in a scrunched-up look to the breast skin surrounding the areola for about 6 months before it flattens out. Patients need to be understanding and tolerant of this in exchange for an areola-only scar. These patients do run the risk of areola widening as well.
Insurance may cover some of these cases when back pain, shoulder bra-notching, and rashes under the breast are present. Insurances vary though and your doctor can submit a report and photos to see if your insurance approves your procedure.
The risks of the procedure include bleeding, infection, bruising, poor scarring, pain, swelling, and changes to nipple and areola sensation, and rarely, partial or total nipple loss. The recovery time is usually a couple weeks if all goes well. In general, however, breast reduction patients are some of the most satisfied and grateful plastic surgery patients. This is truly a life-changing procedure. In my area, the cost ranges from 6700-8500. Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD