Upper lip covering upper teeth at rest 3 months after rhinoplasty. What are my options?

I had open rhinoplasty with a col. strut 3 months ago. The surgical report also mention a resection of the depressor septi. Now my upperlip exactly covers my upper incisors (+/- 0.5mm). Before the surgery it was about 3mm. I also have to smile very "hard" to get my presurgery amount of teeth show when smiling. My surgeon says I'm imagining it... The lip position hasn't changed since about 1 month post op. Is there any point inholding out hoping for a change or do I need e.g. a lip lift? Thanks

Stiff lip after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. We often hear from patients that their upper lip feels stiff and even looks a little lower than before. Most of the time this resolves by 6 months. I would wait a year after surgery before doing any type of lip lift. Good luck with your recovery.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You Want to Consider Lip Lift

You are describing perfectly a hanging upper lip. Injectable fillers will likely not help you. 

A lip lift with incision hidden right in the crease at the nose base is the procedure of choice in these situations. There are a few patient examples available in my profile. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip changes after rhinoplasty

Given that you are only 3 months from your surgery, I would wait and allow the tissues to completely heal.  The body takes one year to form a mature scar - the nose and lips are no exception.  If this still persists after one year, then a lip lifting procedure may give you the result you desire.  But until the one year mark passes, it will be too early to tell.

Best of Luck!

Dr. E

Waleed Ezzat, MD FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon