Blowing Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I had a nose surgery, when is it safe to blow my nose?

Nose Blowing After Rhinoplasty

Nose blowing after rhinoplasty varies based on the type of rhinoplasty.  Seek advice from your surgeon for your specific case.  Below are general guidelines for patients in my practice:

• Rhinoplasty without septoplasty- May blow nose with care at 2 weeks after surgery
  • Rhinoplasty with septoplasty- May blow nose with care at 4-6 weeks after surgery
  • Rhinoplasty with septal perforation repair- May blow nose with care at 12 weeks after surgery

Blowing the nose can place pressure on the septomucoperichondrial flap and potentially lead to a perforation, nose bleeding, separation of mucoperichondrial flaps.  Until your physician gives you clearance to blow your nose, you can use saline to break up any secretions and then dab at the bottom of your nose.  

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can blow gently a week after Rhinoplasty

As long as you don't use a lot of force you can gently blow your nose after one week. We are only concerned with starting a nose bleed if you blow too hard.

Safe to gently blow nose one week after surgery

It is very likely safe to gently blow your nose one week after surgery.  You can then go back to normal nose blowing two weeks after surgery.  For more information and our postoperative instructions for our practice, please see the link below

Rhinoplasty Recovery: When is it Safe to Blow Your Nose

Most surgeons recommend that patients refrain from blowing their nose form 2 weeks after surgery. This can increase the chances of a nose bleed.  Check with your individual surgeon for his or her specific instructions.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing Nose After Surgery

We instruct patients that they may blow their nose lightly beginning 2 weeks after surgery. Don't overdo it though - if you blow too hard you can cause a nosebleed or even some injury. And remember, there is still a lot of swelling on the inside of your nose too, and you can't blow swelling out of your nose!

Daniel G. Becker, MD
Voorhees Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing your Nose after Nasal Surgery

I advise patients not to blow their nose for two weeks after surgery. Then do so without putting pressure on the nose for additional week to avoid excessive force.

In our practice, many patients may begin to blow their noses the day there dressing is removed after rhinoplasty.

Light nasal blowing may be considered around one week following rhinoplasty surgery, unless your surgeon makes a restriction for you. Hope this helps. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose blowing after rhinoplasty

It really depends on the specifics of the surgery.  Listen to your surgeon's aftercare advise.  Having said that, in general, I advise my patients that they can start blowing their nose gently with no twisting at 2 weeks.  You can use saline nasal spray to wash out any mucous, secretions, crusts, etc in the interim between surgery and 2 weeks.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Congestion Following Rhinoplasty

It’s not unusual for patients to have nasal congestion following rhinoplasty. This is often secondary to swelling with crusting and scabbing within the nasal passage. When this occurs, patients have an irresistible urge to blow their nose.

We generally, recommend that patients avoid blowing their nose for at least two weeks following routine rhinoplasty and four to six weeks following septoplasty.

When patients blow their noses in the early post-operative period, they can potentially damage the nasal mucous and cause bleeding. For this reason, we generally recommend nasal saline irrigations in the immediate post-operative period. 

Blowing Nose after a Rhino

You should avoid blowing your nose for a week or so, this will allow the tissue to heal and not cause any nose bleeds. You should consult your PS since it may vary depending on the Rhinoplasty procedure you had.