I'm a 38 year old male and have protruding nipples?

I have protruding nipples and was wondering what surgery or treatment I can do to have them a normal size

Doctor Answers 12

I'm a 38 year old male and have protruding nipples?

Protruding nipples is a type of gynecomastia that can be treated by surgical excision of the gland. I would recommend an in person consultation. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs many of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 289 reviews

Gynecomastia and large nipples

Protruding nipples can be reduced under local anesthesia in the office. If you have additional excess male breast tissue known as gynecomastia, then the surgery becomes more involved. This might require liposuction or glandular removal too.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Correcting Protruding Nipples

Thank you very much for your question. Without a photograph, it is difficult to provide much meaningful advice. However, depending on your situation, gynecomastia correction could provide excellent results and resolve your protruding nipples. The procedure may involve liposuction, to eliminate unwanted fatty tissue, or excision to address excess glandular tissue. In many situations, a combination of both techniques will be required. My recommendation is that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in gynecomastia correction. He/she will perform a physical examination and explain the best options for your unique situation.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Protruding Nipples

Hi and thanks for the question. Impossible to give you an answer without pictures or seeing you in person. Is your nipple too long? If yes then this can be easily reduced under LA in the office. Is your nipple-areolar complex puffy/lumpy and or do you have larger than average male breast? If yes , you might need gyanecomastia surgery. I would suggest you seek to see a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to guide you accordingly.

Mo Akhavani, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

I'm a 38 year old male and have protruding nipples?

It is difficult to give you good advice based on the limited information. If I were seeing you in consultation, I would want to ascertain whether it is truly the size of the nipples that are of concern or whether underlying breast tissue (gynecomastia) is the culprit.  In other words, it will be important to make an accurate diagnosis of what your concerns are in order to come up with an appropriate treatment plan.  You will find the attached link helpful to you as you learn about the different concerns.  Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,488 reviews

Do you have gynecomastia?

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

I'm a 38 year old male and have protruding nipples?

Thank you for sharing your question. Unfortunately without a full series of photographs, or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite recommendations.  If your actual nipple is protruding too much from the level of your areola a reduction can be performed with a small in-office procedure.  If the entirety of the nipple and areola are puffy this is normally due to male breast tissue development that requires surgical intervention with to remove the glandular tissue and liposuction to sculpt the remaining chest.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Protruding nipples

Protruding nipples can be treated by surgical remove of the glandular tissue that is the reason for the puffy nipples

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

I'm a 38 year old male and have protruding nipples

Usually that occurs in males when they have a small amount of breast tissue behind their areola. That can occur for many reason and is not dangerous. It can be corrected by surgically removing the excess breast tissue to allow the areola and nipple to be flatter against your chest.

Julio Garcia, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Nipple Reduction

The question is whether you have protruding nipples or a puffy areolas which are often called puffy nipples as well. Both can be effectively treated but the techniques are quote different. You would have to submit pictures to determine what type of puffy nipples you actually have.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.