I'm a 38 year old male and have protruding nipples?

I have protruding nipples and was wondering what surgery or treatment I can do to have them a normal size

Correcting Protruding Nipples

Thank you very much for your question. Without a photograph, it is difficult to provide much meaningful advice. However, depending on your situation, gynecomastia correction could provide excellent results and resolve your protruding nipples. The procedure may involve liposuction, to eliminate unwanted fatty tissue, or excision to address excess glandular tissue. In many situations, a combination of both techniques will be required. My recommendation is that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in gynecomastia correction. He/she will perform a physical examination and explain the best options for your unique situation.

Protruding Nipples

Hi and thanks for the question. Impossible to give you an answer without pictures or seeing you in person. Is your nipple too long? If yes then this can be easily reduced under LA in the office. Is your nipple-areolar complex puffy/lumpy and or do you have larger than average male breast? If yes , you might need gyanecomastia surgery. I would suggest you seek to see a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to guide you accordingly.

It is difficult to give you good advice based on the limited information. If I were seeing you in consultation, I would want to ascertain whether it is truly the size of the nipples that are of concern or whether underlying breast tissue (gynecomastia) is the culprit.  In other words, it will be important to make an accurate diagnosis of what your concerns are in order to come up with an appropriate treatment plan.  You will find the attached link helpful to you as you learn about the different concerns.  Best wishes.

Do you have gynecomastia?

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Thank you for sharing your question. Unfortunately without a full series of photographs, or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite recommendations.  If your actual nipple is protruding too much from the level of your areola a reduction can be performed with a small in-office procedure.  If the entirety of the nipple and areola are puffy this is normally due to male breast tissue development that requires surgical intervention with to remove the glandular tissue and liposuction to sculpt the remaining chest.  Hope this helps.

Protruding nipples

Protruding nipples can be treated by surgical remove of the glandular tissue that is the reason for the puffy nipples

Mordcai Blau, MD

I'm a 38 year old male and have protruding nipples

Usually that occurs in males when they have a small amount of breast tissue behind their areola. That can occur for many reason and is not dangerous. It can be corrected by surgically removing the excess breast tissue to allow the areola and nipple to be flatter against your chest.

Julio Garcia, MD

Nipple Reduction

The question is whether you have protruding nipples or a puffy areolas which are often called puffy nipples as well. Both can be effectively treated but the techniques are quote different. You would have to submit pictures to determine what type of puffy nipples you actually have.

Protruding Nipple Correction

Protruding nipples is also frequently referred to as Puffy Nipple or Puffy Nipples. This is a very common type of gynecomastia and one of the more straightforward to correct. Puffy nipple is caused by excess glandular tissue located beneath the nipple. Liposuction will not correct this type of gyne, because there is usually not a fatty component. A small incision around the top or bottom edge of the areola is made to allow for tissue excision. The incision is well hidden and typically heals very well so visibility is not a common concern. Most puffy nipple cases at my practice are performed in-office under local anesthesia. General anesthesia is an option if preferred. 

Treating Puffy Nipples

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition. 
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.