What nose shape is best for me? (Photo)

I have my first rhinoplasty consultation next week and want to bring photos of noses that I like. I love Kate Beckinsale, Natalie Portman, and Charlize Theron's noses. I want to get rid of the bony hump, make the tip more refined/less bulbous, and make the projection shorter. I have a round face and an underdefined chin and am also considering a chin implant. I want to know what you think would better suit me, a straight or slightly ski sloped nose?

What nose shape is best for me?

From the photographs presented, you're an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty and a chin implant combination. A  Closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump,  decreasing the projection of the nose,narrowing the bridge line and refining the bulbous tip with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. In our practice, we prefer a very slight inward slope to the nose, but not a ski slope. Placement of a chin implant will help with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose. For many before-and-after examples of this combination, please see the video and the link below

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is near impossible to replicate somebody else’s nose because we all have different anatomys but you would definitely benefit from nasal refinement. I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. It doesn’t hurt to bring photographs with you for the doctor to determine if your cosmetic goals are achievable with based on your anatomy but the key to a good rhinoplasty is creating harmony between the facial features. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

What nose shape is best for me?

A closed rhinoplasty to deproject the tip, reduce the dorsal hump, and refine the tip would be reasonable.  I think that a chin implant would be a valuable addition as well.

Rhinoplasty: what nose shape is best for me?

This is a great question.  I agree with the comments below that photo morphing on a 3D system will much more beneficial to you to visually see what shape would look the best on your face.  Having said that, bringing photos in noses you like does not hurt and may give you some more information.  I would not recommend a "ski slope" nose but rather a straight dorsum with a gentle curve at the end, rather than a purely straight nose--this will give the refined nice look you may be looking for.  Also, I would recommend a chin implant for you, increasing your tip rotation, decreasing your projection slightly and removing the bulbosity from your tip.  Hope this helps!

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What nose shape is best for me?

Rather than trying to look like someone else,  it is important understand what can and cannot be accomplished with your nose in order to be in harmony with your other facial features. Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What nose shape for me?

You bring up several good points.  Most of us today shoot for a straight profile as opposed to a ski slope, which is a tell-tale sign of an "operated" nose. I personally encourage patients to bring in pictures of noses they like, not that I can give them that nose, but it helps me know what their aesthetic judgement is. It is a point of departure for discussion of what can and can not be accomplished, and what your goals are. I think a chin implant would be a good idea.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Best Nose Shape?

Based on the pictures, I agree that reducing the projection and refining the tip, along with a chin implant will harmonize the face.  A straighter nose would probably suit you better than a ski-slope.  Of course, this is only based on the pictures.  I recommend you consult with several experienced rhinoplasty surgeons in your area.  You may want to visit ones with computer imaging to help you "see" your new nose and chin (we have the Vectra).

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Rhinoplasty expectations

Hello! A rhinoplasty and chin implant would definitely improve your facial proportions. The "ski slope" appearance of over-resected noses is passe and a straight dorsal line is really the ideal outcome. Consultation and discussion with a couple experienced rhinoplasty surgeons, with photo morphing and a review of their before/afters is crucial in deciding. I think photo morphs are far more valuable than photos of celebrity noses, who have different features, facial shapes and skin types and my not be realistic outcomes for you. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon