Bilateral Brachioplasty

Could a doctor please help me understand what it means to have a bilateral brachioplasty?

Brachioplasty or Arm Lift

Bilateral Brachioplasty refers to an operation to reduce the size of skin and soft tissues of the upper arms.  Bilateral typically means Right and Left side of the body ( in this case R. and L. arms) and not scar on both side of the same arm.

This is a very satisfying operation for most patient and is common in patients that have lost massive weight and have excess skin that is unsightly.

It typically leaves an  acceptable scar in the inner portion of the upper arm.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

What is a brachioplasty?

A brachioplasty is essentially an upper arm lift.   In this procedure, the excess hanging skin and fat in the upper arm is removed.  Its the procedure used to correct the common "bat wing" of skin that manifests in patients who have lost a significant amount of weight. 

Brachioplasty= Brachio- means arm + plasty- means to change shape.

I. Brachioplasty(arm lift) may be required for:

1.congenital(born with) skin excess;

2. perimenopausal laxity and/or skin excess, and; weight loss laxity and/or skin excess

II. Any or all of these situations can be remedied with the use of:

1. Non surgical skin tightening

2. Mini brachioplasty(armpit incision)

3. Conventional brachioplasty***.

***The scar has been an issue in the past, however, optimal shaping, positioning and my SERI brachioplasty technique optimizes scar quality as well as rapid healing.

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Bilateral brachioplasty surgery

Thank you for your question regarding bilateral brachioplasty.

Bilateral means both sides. Therefore, a bilateral brachioplasty is a brachioplasty done to both arms. Almost always, plastic surgeons perform bilateral brachioplasties. It is rare that plastic surgeons perform arm lifts just on one side.

A brachioplasty is arm surgery. Usually there are two components to the arm, namely skin and fat. Many patients have just excess arm fat with excellent skin tone. These patients may respond well to arm liposuction. Some patients have excess arm skin. This excess arm skin needs to be surgically excised. Some incisions are placed in the armpit and are called a “crescent brachioplasty”. Some arm lift incisions are placed in the armpit and extend slightly down the upper arm. Because of the shape of the scar, this type of arm lift is called a “modified T brachioplasty”. Some patients require an incision from the armpit to the elbow. In my practice, this is the most common type of brachioplasty I perform. Some patients have excess forearm skin and fat. These types of patients may require an incision from the axilla to the wrist to eliminate excess arm skin and fat.

I hope this answers your question regarding bilateral brachioplasty.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

Bilateral brachioplasty

The word bilateral means "both sides". If you were going to undergo bilateral brachioplasty it would mean you and have an arm lift perform on both arms.Brachioplasty or arm lift surgery is one of the most frequently requested body contouring procedures performed today. The demand for this procedure has increased more than 800% since 1997. This is the greatest percent change of any of the commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedures Much of the increase in popularity is due to the growing number of patients who undergo massive weight loss. In performing this procedure an incision is made on the inside of the arm extending from the elbow into the armpit. Sometimes it is necessary to extend the incision further into the armpit and sometimes past it. Utilizing this incision excess skin is removed and the wound is closed. It is very important to position the scar properly so that it is concealed as much as possible. A well-placed incision should result in a scar that is only visible when the arms are raised. This operation is normally performed as an outpatient. It is very important for the surgeon to discuss the resultant scar thoroughly with the patient preoperatively. Very commonly this scar takes a longer time to undergo the full healing and maturation process. Maturation refers to the process whereby the scar becomes less apparent. Brachioplasty scars commonly take up to 2 years to fully mature. Immediately after the operation compressive Ace wraps are placed from the fingers up to the armpit. These can normally be removed within 24-48 hours postoperatively. Elastic compression sleeves commonly worn by athletes can be purchased relatively inexpensively at any sporting good store. Many patients wear these for up for up to 2 weeks postoperatively. No vigorous activity or strenuous activity is recommended for 3 weeks postoperatively. Complications following a well planned and well executed brachioplasty are uncommon. They may include however wound infection or wound breakdown. Is very important to follow the directions of your surgeon postoperatively to ensure the best result.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift for Both Arms

Bilateral brachioplasty is an arm lift that’s performed on both arms. The procedure removes excess skin and fat of the upper arm. It typically involves an incision that’s made from the elbow to the armpit. Excess skin is removed in both the transverse and vertical dimensions with this procedure.

The procedure is effective for removing excess arm skin and creates a more shapely arm. Unfortunately, bilateral brachioplasty is often accomplished by adverse scarring.

If you’re considering bilateral brachioplasty, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for you. 

Armlift is also known as a bracioplasty

Bilateral brachioplasty means both (bilateral) armlifts (brachioplasty). So when someone says bilateral that means both  and when someone says bracio that means arm and plasty means to mold.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Arm lifting= brachioplasty

This term refers to arm lifting  both arms.

The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. However, this procedure carries a major drawback: difficult scarring that may require scar revision (more so, in my experience, then other procedures).

I have tried placement of the resulting scars in the bicipital  groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles)  as well as a long the inferior–lower aspect of the upper arm. I have found higher patient satisfaction with the latter approach. If the excision can be planned such that the scar falls along the frontal aspect of the lower arm, then the scar may be visible only when the patient raises his/her arms.

As with many plastic surgical procedures, the planning of the incisions and resulting scar line is critical. However, even with attention to detail, the resulting scars may not be ideal and revisionary surgery is  often necessary to improve the appearance (for example, the width) of the scars.

Thank you for the question–I hope this helps.

Arm lift on both arms

Brachioplasty is an arm lift and bilateral means it is on both arms. Generally surgery involves an incision between the arm pit and the elbow.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

"Bilateral" means both sides. Brachioplasty is the surgical removal of arm skin and tissue. Bilateral Brachioplasty is the removal of skin and tissue on both arms.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon