Is this gynecomastia or chest fat? (photos)

I am working out from past 1 year did a lot of gaining but not a clean gaining I gained a lot of fat over my body I am overweight or a fat guy just my body persentage is high I am 20 years old I have not taken any types of steriods or drugs. But I used whey protein supplements.

Doctor Answers 8

Chest Issues

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Liposuction and excision are options for you to correct the chest.  An exam is needed to determine if you have gynecomastia or chest fat.  Best to you!

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Determining If You Have Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. 

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for the photos. It appears that there probably is some component of gynecomastia contributing to your chest concerns.  A physical exam would certainly be helpful.  The good news is there is a safe and effective procedure to remove the breast tissue to give you a flat, masculine chest.  Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience doing this particular type of surgery.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Is this gynecomastia or chest fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Liposuction can help with the fatty tissue but direct excision is necessary to remove the glandular tissue. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 317 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Physical exam would be helpful, but it appear that you do have Gynecomastia and if caused by fat or breast tissue, either can be treated surgically. Check out the link below to an article about Gynecomastia, as you might find it helpful. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Is this gynecomastia or chest fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and pictures. I would suggest that you seek consultation with  well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Physical examination will be key when it comes providing you with an accurate diagnosis.

Based on your description, it is possible that you are dealing with gynecomastia. "Gynecomastia" comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and "mastos" meaning breasts. It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males. Although there may be many “causes”, most cases are idiopathic (no specific cause). The use of certain medications, drugs, organ dysfunction (kidney or liver), hormonal imbalances etc. may also be causative.

Persistent gynecomastia is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue liposuction surgery may suffice. If/when the time comes for surgical intervention, please make sure that you seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Chest treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have more of a glandular component, it may not be amenable to liposuction. If there is  more of a fatty component, liposuction may be reasonable.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Fat v breast tissue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The distinction between pure gynecomastia v chest fat is only relevant inasmuch as it helps the surgeon to decide whether the treatment is liposuction alone, liposuction plus excision, or excision alone.  But from the photos it is clear that your chest is disproportionate and if you want it to look better you will need one of those surgical options.

But your chest has a coned, projecting sort of a shape deep to the areola which is usually indicative of it being true gynecomastia.  And you are so thin that I also think that is what it is.

The whey protein alone won't cause gynecomastia.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.