Will small amount of seroma go away by itself?

I got gyne surgery(excision + lipo) done 16 days before.Everything was going right till yesterday and all of a sudden i notice one nipple is slightly puffed due to some fluid under it.It is very minimal but can be differentiated from left one.I am out of town now as i study in different city.My doctor he told me that it will go away by itself.Iam worried as it happened overnight after these many days post surgery.I hope it becomes flat as left side.Please help me out!

Small amount of seroma will usually go away by itself.  However, contact your surgeon if it increases in size or causes pain. Good luck.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Seroma

Thanks for your question.  This sounds like a small seroma and should go away on its own.  If it should become larger or begins to cause pain, be sure to contact your surgeon.  Typically the body just reabsorbs the fluid and the area returns to normal.  Best of luck.

Seroma After Gynecomastia Surgery

A small seroma is not dangerous and will usually go away on its own. The body will slowly absorb the fluid. Keep an eye on the area. If it increases in size and become more symptomatic, contact your plastic surgeon. 

Seroma, Hematoma and Swelling

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Small seroma

In all likelihood a small seroma is self-limited and will resolve. You should see your surgeon to determine whether the collection will need to be drained. 

DrBurnett#realself100