Would a chin implant fix my weak jawline? (Photo)

I just got a rhinoplasty and am really happy with how it's improved my profile, but my weak jaw is ruining the overall result. Over the past few years I've noticed my chin receding. I suffer from tmj and am a left-sided jaw clencher, this seems to have resulted in one side of my face looking 'dropped' and an increasingly weak, receded jaw/chin. Would a chin implant give me a sharper jawline and reduce the fat pocket you can see under my chin (I'm a fit skinny person so this isnt weight related)?

Chin implant

Based on your pictures, I'm not sure that you require a chin implant.  I think chin implants are great but possibly just some liposuction under the chin would help what concerns you.  Sometimes adding some filler (voluma, restylane lyft, etc) along the jawline can also help minor asymmetries.  Good luck.

Chin implant candidate

The photographs demonstrate a  mild weak and  recessive chin profile for which a chin implant can improve.  Chin implants are manufactured in  a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.  They are frequently combined with a rhinoplasty, or can be performed as a stand-alone procedure.  The small amount of fatty deposits in the neck must be removed with liposuction.   For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Chin and Neck

You ideally need a combination of a chin implant and submental/neck liposuction to create a more defined front part of your jaw.

Chin implant to improve profile

I agree with your assessment in that an anatomic chin implant would improve your profile. It is not uncommon after a reduction rhinoplasty to note that the chin is slightly weak in a profile view or even a frontal view. I often will combine a chin implant with limited liposuction under the chin to improve the overall profile as most people with weak chins also have a small pocket of fat below their chin region. I would recommend an anatomic chin implant that contours to your jaw line and not only improves the profile but also the slight depressions seen in the front view. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial balance / jawline

Your lower jaw appears to have grown asymmetrically; as you noted. It is common for one side of the jaw/face to be 'stronger' than the other; but some persons do have an accentuated difference. It can be corrected/masked if desired. The chin area/under chin pad can be changed with a small liposculpture along with genioplasty. A chin implant is less ideal since it could accentuate the fold under the lip and the 'dips' alongside the chin. A review of the 'height' of the chin is also important with images/xrays. 

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Would a chin implant fix my weak jawline? (

I might offer a few syringes of Juvederm Ultra Pluss to jaw areas to see if the correction is acceptable. If yes than after 6 to 9 months consider implant or more injections.. Fee for 2 syringes ranges from $1,200 to $2,000,,...

Chin implant and area under chin

Nadia, thank you for your pictures.  Certainly a small chin implant would help improve your profile and get you close to where you were before.  Persistent issues with TMJ and clenching at night can cause issues arthritic issues at the joint which unfortunately, over time, can manifest itself as changes in how your mandible looks. Based on your pictures alone, you would be a great candidate for an custom extended anatomic chin implant to help improve the projection on profile while mantaining a feminine mandibular appearance from the front.  In regards to the area under your chin, it will improve with the chin implant.  However, without conducting a physical exam, it's hard for me to say whether the issue is one of skin laxity secondary to changes in mandibular contour, subplatysmal or subcutaneous fat, or some combination of all 3.  Depending on what the issue is, there may be different ways to get you an optimal result while still continuing on the minimally invasive side of things.  That being said, a good doc should be able to assess that for you at the time of exam during your consultation.  
Also, swing by your dentist and let him know of the TMJ issues you've been having (and I suspect based on what your picture shows as well as what you are saying you have some night-time bruxism) - they may be able to fit you with a night guard bite block to help and control the TMJ as much as possible.  
I hope this helps! Best of luck. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would a chin implant fix my weak jawline?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is a slight excess of skin below the chin.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  The excess skin can be removed using the same incision used for placement of the chin implant. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) making the face rectangularly shaped.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Hope this helps.