Should I invest in Microneedling? Will it make a big difference? (Photo)

I am 32 years old and looking to refresh my skin. My dermatologist offers microneedling and want to know if it will truly be worth the expense ($300 for full face, and doing 4 treatments)? I used to have bad acne as a teenager and have very light scarring on one of my cheeks. The reason I want to get it is not for scars, as much as I am hoping to reduce the size of my pores, and make my skin look younger (with less fine lines). HONESTLY- Do you think Microneedling will benefit me?

Microneedling Investment

Thanks for your question!  Microneedling is an excellent step towards a more youthful face!  I find it works extremely well for light acne scarring, especially when combined with PRP (platelet rich plasma) therapy.  Just like your dermatologist, I like to perform microneedling in a series fashion to maximize results.  Best of luck to you!

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

I find that lasers work better than microneedling and microneedling does better with lasers.  We combine them and add sculptra or PRP.  I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

"Should I Invest In Microneedling?"

Microneedling will certainly benefit your skin, however it is difficult to say how “big” of a difference it will achieve, as this is often subjective to patients’ expectations. Microneedling has the potential to improve fine lines, texture, pigmentation, and scarring, with results dependent on the severity of skin issues, settings and topicals utiltized, and the number of sessions complete.While more aggressive treatments such as lasers will provide you with a more significant result, the downtime and price associated with such procedures will be more significant as well. In relation to other treatments, microneedling is more affordable, and comes with very minimal downtime, if any at all. Because you are young, your collagen production response is better; with the appropriate topical solutions used in treatment, you could definitely achieve the “refreshed” look you are looking for.Something to note is if you are going to invest money into treatment, be sure to also invest in quality, medical-grade skincare products if you haven’t already. Not only will this enhance your results, it will also help to maintain them for as long as possible. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Microneedling Results

Hello! Thank you for your question, and for sharing your photographs. In my opinion, microneedling does a really wonderful job for skin tone/quality and texture - including reducing the size of pores and scars. I use it on my own skin and have been very happy with it. What I tell my patients about microneedling is that 

(1) it is going to work, but 

(2) it is going to be gradual and very slow, and 

(3) because the aging process is ongoing - it needs to be maintained. 

You will see nothing for about a month, and then it will be 6-9 months before you see full results - so be patient! After you finish a course of 4-6 treatments, you will need 2-3 a year to maintain your results. I hope this helps, and good luck!

See Results With Microneedling

Hello Jenniferbarlow,
Microneedling is worth it and will make a difference in your skin. Microneedling is complete skin rejuvenation. Patients are never disappointed with their microneedling results, in fact they are anxious to come back because they are so happy with their treatment. Microneedling has minimal down time and addresses so many skin issues such as, minimizing pores, smoothing wrinkles and fine line, tightening the skin/ elastin , hyperpigmentation, increased collagen production, age spots, acne scars, the list goes on. I would say yes, listen to your dermatologists recommendation and at least do one treatment and see for yourself!