Will wearing compression vest cause stomach/abdomen pain/discomfort?

I just have my gynecomastia surgery done 18 days ago(liposuction + glandular tissue removal). I wake up with discomfort and a little pain from abdomen region(may be from stomach) and lower back EVERY MORNING since the day I started wearing the compression vest. But those feelings get much better and are gone very soon after I get up(walk or sit). It only happens when I lying on bed for a long period of time such as sleeping. Is it caused by wearing the compression vest?

Use of a Compression Garment After a Gynecomastia Procedure

Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery. The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

Compression Garment Causing Discomfort

Hi 12211_1,
Thanks for the post. It is certainly possible that the compression garment can cause discomfort if it is too tight. The benefit of the compression vest is to reduce swelling in the early post operative period. However, it should not be too tight. I would bring this up with your plastic surgeon and go by their recommendation.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Compression Garment Could Be too Tight

It is certainly possible that the compression garment could be causing the pain.  See you surgeon as he may want to change garment style.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

It is certainly possible that the vest could be compressing things too much. See your surgeon to ensure the best isn't too tight. Hope that helps! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC