Is muscle repair standard with a Tummy Tuck?

After reading dozens of reviews here and having had 3 consultations myself, I'm wondering; Is muscle repair a standard part of performing a Tummy Tuck? Some mention it while others don't. I want to be sure it's included in my procedure. Do I need to specify or is it automatically part of the TT?

If you’re in need of muscle repair, talk with your surgeon to confirm he or she includes this.

Thank you for your question. I include repair of the abdominal muscles as part of a standard tummy tuck procedure. Women who have been pregnant or anyone who has fluctuated in weight can develop what’s known as diastasis recti, or abdominal muscle separation. Therefore, restoring the midsection requires resolving this muscle separation. However, it’s important to keep an open dialogue with your plastic surgeon and communicate any of your needs or concerns. I suggest clarifying with your surgeon that you’re interested in muscle repair. Good luck!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Diastasis recti repair during abdominoplasty

Most, but not all patients will achieve a superior result from a tummy tuck if the muscle repair is performed. The benefit of a muscle repair and whether this will be performed should be clarified with your surgeon when scheduling the operation. 

Yes, it is standard

Thank you for reaching out! Yes muscle repair is a standard part of a tummy tuck. The only time it may not be is for a mini tummy tuck or if the patient has not yet had children and does not have any muscle separation. Be sure to visit experienced board certified surgeons and add that to your list of questions when you go to consults. Best of luck! Dr. Kim

Daniel B. Kim, MD

Yes, it is standard

Daniel B. Kim, MD

Muscle repair with abdominoplasty

Yes it is most often included but individual circumstances may dictate otherwise.  Just discuss this with your surgeon and agree to what exactly is to be done.

Muscle repair with abdominoplasty

Is muscle repair standard with tummy tuck!

Most patients seeking a Tummy Tuck have either had pregnancies or significant weight-loss. Pregnancies can definitely cause separation of the abdominal muscles.  Often, weight-loss does as well.  Therefore, most of the time, muscle repair is performed at the time of a Tummy Tuck. Dr. B.

Ramin Behmand, MD

Ramin Behmand, MD

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

Yes, muscle repair (plication) is fairly standard when it comes to a tummy tuck. Some patients benefit more from the muscle plication depending on the number of pregnancies they may have had. Discuss this in detail with you plastic surgeon prior to surgery.

Dr.Bruno

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

Dr.Bruno

Muscle plication is usually standard with full tummy tucks

but you should clarify this with your surgeon if you're thinking of scheduling with him/her.  There are rare instances where the muscle plication may not be needed and is taken off the procedure but most patients who have had children will require muscle tightening.

Yes

MR is standard with full TT and mini-TT for flat tight tummies. 

Good luck

#drburnett # realself100

Yes

Good luck

#drburnett # realself100

Although, most patients require muscle repair, not all do.  Ask your surgeon if a muscle repair is necessary in your particular case and further ask if the repair will require some type of graft or mesh to reinforce the repair.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Thank you for your question. With most patients who are pursuing a tummy tuck for abdominal contouring, there is significant diastasis of the rectus muscles which requires a suture repair. I consider this a standard part of an abdominoplasty as there are very few patients who would not benefit from this at the time of surgery. I would also assume that most other surgeons are including this in the procedure. However, just to be safe, once you have chosen your ABPS-certified surgeon to perform your procedure, you can always ask him or her specifically about this to remove any confusion.