Worried my nose is not healing great 3 months post- op. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hi. I had a rhinoplasty to straighten my crooked nose. I didn't really want him to do much of anything to the tip. He told me no one should be able to know I had a nose job. But 3 months later my tip is still very boulbous, as well as leaning to the side when I smile. I feel like there's extra skin or something. I feel it looks unnatural and very big. I am really hoping the tip will look like it did before the surgery!! He did an open rhinoplasty. Please give me your honest opinions!!!

Tip Swelling 3 Months Post Rhinoplasty

It is not unusual to have tip swelling 3 months after a rhinoplasty. The amount will vary depending on the patient's skin thickness and exactly what was done during the operation. Be patient for at least another 6  months.

The nasal tip may remain swollen for over a year following rhinoplasty surgery.

It is expected to have persistent nasal swelling three months post-rhinoplasty, especially in the lower third of your nose.

If you're not comfortable with the opinion of your surgeon, you may consider getting a second opinion. Digital photos are not a substitute for an examination, but your nose looks swollen in the photos you posted - and all swelling eventually dissipates.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip swelling at three months

I would give it three more months at least to judge your tip shape as swelling of the tip can last for a long time. you should try to avoid eating salt to avoid tip swelling in the meanwhile.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Result

Thank you for the question but you are still too early post op to judge your final result but express your concerns to your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty recovery: the first few months

In the first few months after rhinoplasty, you are still in the early stages of recovery. 

A majority of the swelling will go down in this period of time, depending on a few factors:

1. Revision cases may have more swelling
2. Extensive cartilage grafting may have more swelling, especially rib cartilage.
3. Thick skin will take longer to settle down
4. Heat/Sun/Salt/Strenuous activity will increase swelling.

As the swelling goes down, it may happen on one side before the other. And the tip (even if it was not changed in surgery) is always the last area to refine and show its result.

It's important to discuss with your surgeon the recovery process. Be sure to keep all of your follow-up appointments as this is the best way to optimize to reach a safe and happy outcome. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery

At 3 month, you are still pretty early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD