Is it possible to use fat to actually cover platysma bands on upper neck?

During neck lift there was aggressive lipo which unmasked my platysma bands. I am referring to the upper part of neck, at the angle of transition from under-chin to neck, where at least the skin is thicker than lower on neck. I have so little fat left under skin now that I have been told anterior platysmaplasty might give a smooth result. I do not care about a 90 degree angle, perfect neck. I want only to hide the banding if possible. Thank you for your opinions.

Is it possible to use fat to cover platysma bands

Yes it could be done but doing so would create an unsightly bulge. I a very strong advocate for fat grafting but this is one problem where the best answer is usually a surgical one. You might consider a trial of Botox.

Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prominent platysma bands in a thin skin neck

Over aggressive liposuction of the neck during face and neck lift procedures can lead to unmasking other irregularities that are more difficult to correct.  I would suggest trying Botox to these prominent platysma bands to see if this softens their appearance.  A formal platysmaplasty may be required if the bands are very noticeable and separation of the muscle is apparent.  I do not feel that fat grafting is going to be of much benefit in this scenario.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Platysma bands

Platysma bands are caused by a structural problem with. The muscle of the neck has separated in the midline and thus they look splayed. The only true solution is to bring the muscle back to its mate in the midline. Botox will work as well but it is a band aid

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Fat To The Neck, No No ... in most cases!

Fat injections to the neck is only useful if a special technique of nanofat injections is used.  Otherwise traditional approaches will be useless and give poor outcomes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Platysma bands

You might be better off to plicate the platsyma muscle and divide the bands inferiorly as well. Hard to say without an exam.

Platysma Bands

If there was aggressive liposuction, or fat removal from the sub-mental area, creating hollowness. Correction can be difficult, for fat transfer does not take very well in scarred area, but worth the try.

If the problem is platysmal bands only then a platysmaplasty may serve a better permanent correction. I may consider both techniques in some cases.

Neck contour

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, you will likely do better with a plastysmaplasty.  The best advice you can receive would be from an in-person consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Fat transfer to the neck

Hello and thank you for the question. Is it possible to add fat to the neck? Yes. However, it may not do what you think it will. 

A platysmal band is a muscle. when you have it, it will appear like a bowstring.

Adding fat to the neck will not make the muscle stop doing this. You may want to try some botox first to see if that fixes the issue. Sometimes, fat grafting on thin skin ( like the neck ) can look lumpy or cobblestone like.

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon