Going Back to Personal Trainer After Mommy Makeover

I'm almost 5 weeks post op from tt,w/muscle repair,flank lipo, breast lift, and 660cc hp implants, what is a safe plan to give my personal trainer and when can I start workouts? I don't want to do exercises that will harm my results,like spreading my implants or hurting tt muscle repair. Before my tt I did elliptical cardio usually folowed by weights. I've tried to call my PS nurse 3 times with this question and she has yet to return my call! Any info would be much appreciated!!!!!

Post surgery exercise program

Each surgeon has a different routine.  Check with yours before starting any vigorous training program.

Our routine, after tummy tuck and breast augmentation is:

1)  minimize training of the pec. major muscles (push-ups, pec-deck, dumbell fly).  These exercises can potentially, over time, contribute to lateral migration of the implants.  Do specific exercises which isolate & focus on the biceps, triceps, and deltoids only.

2)  wait 3 months after tummy tuck before resuming abdominal / "core" strengthening, golf, tennis, pilates or yoga.

Hope that helps!

Great question. You should understand that everyone is a bit different but in general six weeks is a good period of time. However, you cannot start at full speed with your workout, otherwise you will be like one of my patients who called and said she felt like she needed to be in intensive care. When I asked her what had happened she said she went back to exercising and did her usual 200 sit ups and now was in pain and could hardly stand up. The moral of the story is to start slow and rebuild your conditioning over time.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Returning to the gym after mommy makeover

Given that your mommy makeover involved a tummy tuck procedure, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for at least 5 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients to notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.

Mommy Makeover

You have undergone multiple procedures and have very large and heavy implants. An appointment to see your surgeon would be the most appropriate way to go. Do not wait for the nurses response. Your surgeon is the one who can make the right decision for you.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Returning to exercise after plastic surgery varies depending on the extent of the procedures

After 5 weeks, you should be okay to return to your exercise regimen slowly.  However, it's very important that you see your plastic surgeon and get clearance from her before doing anything.  If you've called 3 times with no response, call the office and ask for the plastic surgeon or the office manager.  When you do return to exercise, make sure your trainer knows that you had surgery.  You don't have to say what kind, but just be sure you're not pushed too hard too fast.  Good luck!

Getting to the gym after mommy makeover

The recovery and return to exercise is determined by the muscle repair in the abdomen, as your breast may get sore but no harm done. Strengthening in the abdomen should wait the full eight to twelve weeks to make sure that the repair is sound and ready. You can get back to the gym with your trainer after three weeks for more gentle though aerobic exercise. We like ellipticals, recumbent bikes, and spin though your trainer is a great resource as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Returning to exersizing after mommy makeover.

Each surgeon will have their own set of rules for when to return to activity and when to increase the intensity of the exercise.  Your surgeon should tell you what they expect of you.  Usual time off is 3 weeks before returning to light cardio and is 6 weeks, especially if you have had the abdominal muscles repaired.  This gives time for the tissues to heal and strengthen enough to take additional stress. 

Exercise after Mommy Makeover

I find that each patient heals and recovers at different rates.  Therefore, I base my recommendations after 4 weeks on how well you have recovered.   The most important factor is to listen to your body.   If you feel pulling, tearing, stretching; it is important to back off.  

Bottomline, at 5 weeks you can begin light activity, but listen to your body.   It is not worthwhile to overdo your exercise routine and risk loosening your muscle repair or affecting your final result.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Exercise after mommy make over

Ultimately you need to talk to your surgeon, rather than his nurse, about the amount of exercise you do and when you do it.  The procedures of a mommy make over are extensive and require much internal, permanent sutures in the fascia and muscle.  Patients that need to get back to the gym should concentrate on some low impact cardio for a while ( 2 months) and then renew muscle work slowly.  We recommend a very gradual approach.  You don't want to endanger the new investment you just made in your body image.

Tal Raine MD  Elmhurst , Illinois

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after mommy makeover

Clearance to exercise after mommy makeover varies surgeon to surgeon.  I usually tell my patients that they can start with light exercise after 6 weeks postop and start building up after that with sit-ups and weights.  You should check with your plastic surgeon; she/he may have a different guideline for exercise.