Is there anything I can do to resolve my nipple puckering following gynaecomastia gland excision? (photos)

3 weeks ago had gynaecomastia gland excision plus lipo to abs, chest and flanks. Due to my right gland being larger than the left I have visible puckering below the nipple. My ps has advised not to worry as a fat graft can be performed if necessary but is there anything I can do now to resolve/reduce the issue?

Healing & Recovery After Male Breast Reduction

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Is there anything i can do to resolve my nipple puckering following gynecomastia gland excision.

Thank you for your questions and for sharing your photographs.  As you are still recently out from surgery, I would recommend you pursue massage therapy to your chest to help avoid a tethered scar appearance.  If liposuction was performed to your chest, you need to allow enough time to pass to have your results mature, and your skin fully retract.  Once fully healed, any needed revision surgery can be performed to enhance your outcome.  

Puckering after gynecomastia surgery

It's hard to tell exactly but it looks like you may have incomplete removal or the gland on  the right. Otherwise it is scar tissue. Sometimes Kenalog injects and massage can breakdown early scar tissue.

Your PS is right that fat grafting can be done down the road to correct this. In the meantime you can attempt to massage the tethering scar a few times a day to loosen it up. Hope that helps! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC