Nose whistling at night - why?

Why am I nose Whistling every night? My partner can't sleep. I hope you'd find the answer my partner in bed gets annoyed with me every night. Please sir, help me in this situation. I'm annoyed myself.

Whistling nose

A whistling nose can have many causes. Sometimes it can be from a tear or a whole in the septum of the nose that causes abnormal air circulation and a whistling noise. A good clinical exam of the inside of the nose can easily diagnose this problem and there are excellent treatment options based on the size of a septal perforation. Best, MMT

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Nasal whistling

That's a great question. There are a variety of reasons that you may be whistling through your nose at night. If you have had previous nasal surgery- there could be a septal perforation (a hole in the septum) which is causing this sound as air flows from one nostril to the other. If you have never had nasal surgery- you may have a deviated septum which is causing this. In any case, it would make sense for you to be seen by a board certified physician who specializes in nasal surgery and be formally evaluated.

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Whistling nose

You could have septal perforation and/or nasal valve collapse, if you have had recent surgery.  I  would recommend an in person exam by a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Whistling nose

If you had a previous nasal procedure, reasons that come to mind are a septal perforation, synechiae (scar bands), and/or nasal valve collapse. I would recommend an exmaination by an experienced nasal surgeon.

All the best!! 

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Whistling at Night

Have you had a rhinoplasty?  Either way, I would visit with an experienced nose surgeon (yours, if you've had a procedure) to examine the inside of your nose and see if there is a structure that is changing the normal airflow through the nose.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Michael A. Epstein, MD, FACS