Double eyelids but want larger and brighter eyes, should I get double eyelid surgery or just ptosis correction? (photos)

Hello, I already have natural double eyelids, however, I find that in everyday life I use my eyebrow muscles to raise my double eyelid height to make my eyes seem larger. I want to have surgery to make my eyes always like this so I don't need to use my forehead muscles to compensate for my small eye size. I am confused as to whether I should get DES with ptosis correction or simply just get ptosis correction. My eyelids have think skin and quite a lot of fat.

Asian Blepharoplasty Can Open Eyes

I agree with the other physicians here that you do not have ptosis. If you want a more wide-eyed look, it is achievable with blepharoplasty. Please find a facial plastic surgeon with expertise in treating Asian eyes. I hope this helps.

Ptosis surgery for asian eyelid??

You do not appear to have ptosis and it would be unwise for anyone to recommend ptosis surgery for you at this stage. The slight heaviness in your upper lids could be eased by a blepharoplasty possibly including raising the lid crease a couple of mm depending on the current position of your existing lid crease. Alternatively raising the brow may help but you would need a full assessment with an experienced plastic or oculoplastic surgeon to thoroughly evaluate your options. Your resting photo looks pretty good to me so it may even be best to leave things alone for a while.

Asian blepharoplasty

I don't think you need ptosis surgery but rather double eyelid (Asian blepharoplasty) only. But best to see an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation, either in person or via Skype.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

There is no substitute for an actual consultation.

In your photos there is no evidence of upper eyelid ptosis.  Ptosis surgery would not therefore be appropriate.  You may have the compensatory brow elevation due to the eyelid fold resting on the eyelid platform. I think you only need double fold surgery to increase the amount of visible eyelid platform.  Less is more. 

Blepharoplasty

It is insightful of you to recognize the overuse of the forehead muscles to compensate for fullness in the upper eyelids.  This is a common complaint of patients but not all can identify the origin of concern. Patients always have several options.  One option is to do nothing at all but if this is a legitimate concern then doing nothing may not be the best choice for you. Of course there is always the option for surgery and cosmetic upper eyelid blepharoplasty is a great choice for a permanent solution.  The third option is less invasive and temporary, as compared to surgery, but could yield the results you are looking for and that option is Botox.  The physician who provides your care should walk you through all options so you may make a well-informed decision.  

Undergoing any surgical procedure requires careful attention to detail and consideration for different options.  Consider obtaining several opinions before moving forward with any given procedure.

Trust your face to a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or a board-certified plastic surgeon with very extensive blepharoplasty experience.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon