Nose upturned and short after rhinoplasty. Will the tip drop back down to normal and will the short stubby look go away?

I had rhinoplasty 10 days ago and my nose is sitting upturned and the tip is shortened and raised. It was held up by the splint to take pressure off the incision, but hasn't gone back down. I had the surgery to narrow out a wide bridge,I had a great side profile but now it is sitting right up and looks too short for my face. Will the tip drop back down to normal and will the short stubby look go away? Will my nose look the longer then? Can the nose be lengthened to what it was before?

Rhinoplasty

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. At this point, it is hard to determine whether the appearance is due to swelling or not. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness, enlargement or a turned up nasal tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tip too rotated

Tips do tend to drop a bit after the cast and tape has been removed.   This process can take a few months.  I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon, but at 10 days I don't think there is cause for alarm.   Good luck!

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Short nasal tip

At 10 days after surgery it is too early to assess the results. The tip does drop down over time but you have to easily wait for 3 months before deciding if it looks good or needs to be lengthened. 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

At ten days out, you are very early in the healing process. Swelling contributes to a lot of the way the nose looks and may take up to a year to settle. The upturn may improve a bit.