Should I avoid rubbing my eyelid for the rest of my life after ptosis surgery?

My doctor told me don't rubbing my eyes after surgery but didn't say for how long, should I avoid it for the rest of my life?

Rubbing your eyes after eyelid surgery (ptosis)

In general, yes, it is best to avoid rubbing eyes after any eyelid surgery in particular ptosis.Best of luckChase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sorry, I do not recommend that patients to massage an eyelid 1 week after surgery unless there is a very specific reason

Yes rubbing eyelids is very bad for eyelids and eyes.  We think eye rubbing brakes down connective tissue.  Rubbing the eyelid too early after surgery tears the surgery apart.  As I noted there is a place for massage when needed is certain circumstances.  However, it is a mistake to encourage every patient to massage their eyelid after surgery.  Regarding occasionally rubbing an eyelid, this is pretty harmless.  Persistent and aggressive eyelid rubbing - harmful.  

Rubbing the eye after ptosis Surgery

I tell my patients to avoid aggressively rubbing their eye for 6 weeks after ptosis repair.  This gives the muscle time to completely heal so that there is no chance of doing any damage.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Rubbing eyes after surgery

that's a long time to avoid rubbing your eyes! In my practice, I actually have patients start massaging their eyelids at 1 week post op after eyelids surgery. This helps with the post op itching that patients often get. I don't know exactly what you had done, but in general, scar tissue has set in and at full strength by 1 month post op and there should not be any way that you can "mess up" your results by that point. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid rubbing after ptosis surgery

That is an excellent question. First, I would ask your surgeon. In general we advise that patients not rub their eyes or sleep on the operated side or stomach for several weeks after surgery (usually up to a month) to avoid either opening the incision or causing the muscle repair to come apart. After that eyelid rubbing, if it is vigorous and/or frequent, can cause the ptosis to recur because it can cause the muscle to pull back from it's normal anatomical position. This is how I advise my patents. I do suggest you ask this of your surgeon,

Mark L. Mazow, MD, FACS
Dallas Oculoplastic Surgeon