Is frontalis sling my last option to correct ptosis? (Photo)

Hello, I was born with congenital ptosis and I've have multiple surgeries to correct them. Last surgery I had the doctor performed maximal resection of both levetor muscles. My eyes still look droopy. He said only other option is the frontalis sling method where he'd take tendon from my leg and it would leave a scar. Is this my only option?

Congenital ptosis

If you have already had a maximal levator resection, then yes, a frontalis sling will be your only option to correct your ptosis. In your photo, it appears you are hiking the eyebrows to compensate for the ptosis. You would be in control of when and by how much the eyes open depending on the use of your eyebrows. There are several different types of materials that can be used for a frontalis sling. I would definitely not go for fascia lata, as suggested by your surgeon, as this will make the sling permanent. In adults, it is harder for the cornea/ocular surface to get used to a sling and you want to have the option of reversing the sling. A silicone material can be safely used as the sling and this can be easily reversed if needed. Be prepared to lubricate the eyes aggressively in the week to months after surgery. Good luck!

Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

In my opinion, frontalis sling surgery will not be a good option for you.

You do use your eyebrows in an effort to open the eyes.  The challenge is that the frontalis sling surgery is not well tolerated by adults.  I would get several consultations with university based oculoplastic surgeons regarding your situation before making a decision.