Rhinoplasty scar tissue? How do I massage it?

I had surgery in August. 6 months later I have scar tissue inside my nose and under the bridge, the bridge tissue has caused a lump. My doc recommended massage. How do I do this? In one direction? Circular rub? Please help.

Scar issue

Massage may or may not help.  Usually time is the critical factor.  Sometimes scar revision is beneficial.

Rhinoplasty scar tissue

In my practice, massaging usually does not take care of this.  Time does a lot, and steroid injections in my hand do a lot as well.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Massaging the nose

It is important to use a small amount of moisturizer.  Then use your thumb and finger as if you're pinching the nose and gently keep squeezing and rubbing in a circular motion.  After that use your fingers to push from the center towards the cheeks.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage for scarring

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear about the scarring. Fortunately, your doctor is right and massage can help. I recommend applying firm pressure, using your thumb usually, in a circular motion. How long to do it? For instance, if you're stuck in traffic, do it during a red light. Or if you're watching TV, do it during commercials (not that any of us really watch commercials anymore).  You should do it firmly enough so that it's a bit uncomfortable. You can do it as often as you think about it. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage can help

Massage helps break down scar tissue through cross-fiber friction and can be very helpful. However the direction and firmness of massage varies significantly depending on the area and goal. You really would be best served to visit your surgeon to clarify, or even call, and they will be able to direct you specifically. Good luck with your recovery!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue after Rhinoplasty

I would ask the doctor's office how they would like you to do it. They may be wanting to relax the tissue in a certain direction. Sometimes a steroid injection may be helpful to melt the scar tissue. You may want to ask your surgeon if that may help your case.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar massage following a rhinoplasty

Time and manual massage or the scar for the next 6 months may be useful.  Give it some time and it will improve.