How long does it take for my belly button scar to fade?

I had the surgery on August 26th. It looks great but the belly button scar is still red. Thank you.

Scar Management

Regarding the potential for a red raised scar please note the following advice that I recommend to my patient in these circumstances:

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the tell tale signs of surgery – namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible from your surgery. Patients with scars that are enlarged or not healing well after surgery can be from many causes. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.

Scar Management tips:
1- Minimize tension on the scar – Steri Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar. This minimizes the stress that can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”.

2– Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. NEVER apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection contact your surgeon’s office immediately and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”
.
3. –Protect your scars from the sun - staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.

4. – Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen,etc). At the present time I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products and if the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.

5. – Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected. Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments to treat or prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

#tummytuck
#TT
#scarmanagement

Belly Button Scar Healing

Hi, thank you for your question! It can take 12-18 months for scars to settle.
These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace. In my opinion, you should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon and follow his/her treatment plan to reduce your scars. Best Wishes!

#bellybutton  #scars #skincreams

Red scar post tummy

This is not unusual sionce the maturation phase of wound healing can take a year or more.Try some scar creams over the counter.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Belly button scar

Hi, V.R.C.
Every patient heals at different rate.  
Also, some may heal with red scar or others may heal with white scar.
Scars mature and remodel over a course of one year.
Please be patient and follow your plastic surgeon's scar regimen.
Best regards.

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... Usually the belly button takes almost 21 days to completely close and heal, also I recommend you to use TECASOL powder to help it heal faster!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Withot a poisted photo very hard to advise. my over the internet guess is 3 months...................

Scar maturation

With any surgical incision, the body lays down collagen for the first 6 to 8 weeks following surgery. This is what contributes to scars initially being red, raised, noticeable, and palpable. The body then goes into a phase of wound healing known as remodeling. This can  take 12 to 18 months when the collagen is broken down and reforms such that your scar will eventually be a fine white wine. Abnormal or hypertrophic scarring is marked by persistence of the red and raised  stage of wound healing. This can be monitored by your plastic surgeon and  treated with silicone, a laser therapy, or steroid injection. 

Belly button scar

Thank you for the question. This is not at all unusual. It can take a year or more for the scars to fully mature and fade. I often recommend silicone sheeting or a silicone gel such as dermatix to help improve the appearance of the healing scars. Having said that, I would recommend sun avoidance for at least a year. The sun can make scars permanently red or brown and cause the tissue to thicken, making your incisional scar all the more obvious. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Fading of the belly button scar?

Hello VRC. Thanks for your question. The pink color is normal and can take up to 18 months or longer to fade. I will often recomend Scarguard because the hydrocortisone component can make the pink color go away faster. Ask you doctor to see if this is OK? Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD