For how long after hair transplant should one use minoxidil spray, and is it beneficial?

Q)For how long after hair transplant should one use minoxidil spray? Is it beneficial in all cases? Q) How long after hair transplant can one virgurously rub or scratch with fingernails to remove scabs?

Touching and medicating the recipient area

Never scratch the recipient area because early on it will cause the grafts to come out, and after 3 weeks, you might introduce and infection. Not good.

I ran an experiment some years ago where I put Rogaine (Minoxidil) on half of the head and not on the other side. Twelve patients were done and there was no difference in the growth one side compared to the other. I concluded minoxidil has nothing to offer when the transplant was done correctly. I ran an experiment some years ago where I put Rogaine (Minoxidil) on half of the head and not on the other side. Twelve patients were done and there was no difference in the growth one side compared to the other. I concluded minoxidil has nothing to offer when the transplant was done correctly.So my conclusion is that using Rogaine after a hair transplant has no value.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil Spray after Hair Transplant

I start patients on minoxidil if I see a lot of miniaturization of hair follicles on their scalp.  It is generally a lifelong medication.  Once stopped, any hair that was saved by the minoxidil will be lost over time.  After 5-6 days you can scratch and rub the grafts however I would recommend trying to remove the scabs with frequent showering and washing vs sitting and trying to pick off all the scabs.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

You don't have to use minoxidil after hair transplant

You don't have to use minoxidil after hair transplant surgery.  Some doctors recommend this.  Some doctors do not. If your doctor recommended this, then you should follow up with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil spray after transplant

Since hair loss is progressive we usually recommend to stay on some sort of medical regiment routine to slow down the hair loss of your native hair.  You can use minoxidil and it may help to keep your native hair from falling. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Beneficial!

a)Necessarily for 12 months but it is also advisable to use it systematically longterm. b)After 10 days and this should be done carefully and gradually according to the doctor's advice.

Anastasios Vekris, MD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Minoxidil After Hair Transplant

It is not mandatory to use minoxidil after a hair transplant in all cases.  Sometimes your hair transplant doctor recommend that due to the high levels of miniaturization (fineness of hair shaft in microscopic evaluation) that may predict more hair loss immediately after and due to the stress of hair transplant (shock loss).

That is mostly to prevent your native hair to fall in an accelerate rate after hair transplant.  Finasteride is a better medication that helps to minimize shock loss in men.  However, for women I recommend minoxidil (Rogaine) after hair transplant.

You can scratch your scalp after the first 5 days from your hair transplant.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil after hair transplantation

First of all,  one should never pick scabs post surgery.  Never vigorously rub the scalp.  Be gentle with your scalp,  with or without surgery.  Second,  I recommend staying on minoxidil post op and dont stop. It is a great product and will give you thicker individual hairs. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Minoxidil after a hair transplant

Not all hair transplant surgeons advise minoxidil in the post op period so check with your surgeon for specific advice. 

The timing of post-op vigorous washing of scabs also varies in terms of recommendations given. Follow the advice of your surgeon. 

Post op care on your hair transplant

Answers to these questions bary amonst hair surgeons. You should adrres these to your particular doctor 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon