How long after otoplasty can I wash my hair?

Otoplasty. hygiene

Hi. In my experience, we usually take off the bandages the day after the surgery and our patients are advised to wash their hair and wounds gently with soap and water every day. This helps to eliminate blood rests and takes away any excessive pressure caused by the bandage. After that we recommend to put cotton on the ears and fix it with a hair band. Up to now we never had problems with infections. It`s important that you talk to your plastic surgeon who performed the surgery on you because the postoperative care instructions can vary from patient to patient. Hope this was helpful.

If you have your ears pinned with a traditional, invasive method, the surgeon normally stipulates that the hair may be washed only after the removal of the ear bandages, which is often not till 2 weeks after the operation. If your ears are pinned with the minimally invasive Merck stitch method, you may already wash your hair 2 or 3 days after the operation.  

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty candidate

In our practice, we allow patients to take a shower and wash their hair the next day after a otoplasty procedure. It's always best to check with your operative surgeon and see what their opinion is, since they're the one doing your surgery.