Is it Okay to Have Alcohol 2 Weeks After Breast Augmentation?

I am going on vacation exactly two weeks post-op (silicone, under muscle with Benelli lift) and I was wondering if it will be safe, considering I am off all meds, to have some drinks.

Alcohol 2 weeks after breast lift and augmentation?

I agree with my colleagues that alcohol in moderation is OK 2 weeks after surgery since you are off all medications. However, I have other concerns and advice that I hope you will consider.

First of all, you should follow your own surgeon's advice, since it is he or she you will go to if you have a problem, such as breast hematoma (bleeding), malposition (from too much activity or minor injury), or capsular contracture (bacteria or bleeding are the usual culprits).

At 2 weeks from surgery, your incisions are barely sealed (are all tiny crusts and scabs gone?) and exposure to pool or ocean bacteria can cause an infection, perhaps even one requiring removal of implant(s). Really!

Also, your pocket is certainly not durable enough to withstand vigorous activity, such as swimming, snorkeling, or even putting your luggage in an overhead bin! Some vacationers also like to engage in intimate activities that could cause a breast hematoma, and who would fix that while you are away from your surgeon in an exotic location without skilled plastic surgeon coverage?

Truly, I don't want to be the wet blanket on your vacation plans, but several months ago one of my breast lift plus implant patients went out on the town 18 days after her uneventful and wonderful-result surgery, became over-served at the bar she and friends were partying at, slipped in the parking lot and fell, popping open about 3 inches of her breast incision. Blood all over, and of course, her friends called an ambulance, which took her to the hospital where the ER doctor called me. (Add up the ambulance ride, the ER and ER doctor charges thus far.)

Since she was inebriated, we were unable to safely operate until the next morning (I was called at 3 AM), so she ended up going home anyway. I successfully re-operated (thankfully, her implant was not exposed, or I would have had to remove it), and she ended up with a good result in spite of herself (but she doubled her cost of that result).

I tell you this (true) story not to scare you or ruin your vacation plans, but to educate you. Please heed your surgeon's advice (and mine) to take it easy. If you can, you may wish to reconsider your plans for a couple of weeks later. Or modify your plans to include mostly quiet time under the umbrella with a good book and an occasional cocktail!

And, BTW, keep your scars out of the sun. They will turn permanently brown if they receive even a little ultraviolet while they are pink (6-12 months). Remember, good long-term results are worth the extra effort, and not worth the (premature) vacation activity you know you really shouldn't engage in! Best wishes and happy travels whenever and wherever you go!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Moderation is important- wait at least 1 week after surgery.

When patients undergo breast augmentation surgery, safety should be everyone’s first priority.For this reason, we recommend that patients not drink alcohol for at least one week prior to surgery and at least one week after surgery.Alcohol can cause dehydration which can significantly increase the potential for complications following breast augmentation.
It’s not unreasonable for breast augmentation patients to resume alcohol consumption two weeks following surgery provided they drink in moderation and are no longer taking narcotic pain relievers.It’s also important to emphasize that they should avoid excessive drinking which might lead to behavior that might put their breast augmentation at risk.

Drinking alcohol after breast augmentation

Hi. It is safe to drink moderate amount of alcohol 2 weeks after breast augmentation. However, please check with your plastic surgeon in regards to other post-operative instructions in regards to your activities while on vacation.  Have a great time!

Alcohol intake after surgery

At two weeks, you should be off medication and alcohol intake will not hurt anything unless you over indulge.  If you keep it within reason all should do well.  Cheers

Miguel Delgado, MD

Drinking after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Given that you are off all of your medication, it is fine to resume drinking. However, I highly recommend speaking with your surgeon beforehand. Have a great vacation!

Okay if no bruising

Drinking in moderation two weeks after your surgery is probably okay if your surgeon agrees to it. However, if you have extensive bruising I wouldn’t recommend it because it could make it worse.

Alcohol after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. If your swelling is pretty much gone and you are not requiring any pain medication, then some alcohol is probably fine. If you have still have considerable swelling, then you may find that alcohol prolongs the swelling period.  In addition, if you are requiring any pain medication to help managed discomfort, then I would also avoid alcohol.

Also be sure to follow your surgeon's activity restrictions while on vacation and get their go-ahead to fly and drink.

Consuming Alcohol after Breast Augmentaion

If you are off all your medications it should be fine to have a couple drinks. However, you will want to confirm with your surgeon first.

Drinking alcohol after surgery

At two weeks, provided that you are not taking any pain medications or other prescriptions that may react with alcohol, it is probalby OK. I would check with your surgeon.

Alcohol post op

If you were my patient, I would allow you to have a drink, but you need to get the official ok from your surgeon.  Medically, there is no harm to the  alcohol itself.  The main concern I would have is that you become intoxicated and do something that results in an injury, such as a fall. Then you could possibly cause a problem with the surgical area, such as late bleeding or splitting open an incision.  Unfortunately, stuff like this does happen, then you are away from your plastic surgeon on vacation, and then what? So even if your surgeon says it's ok to have alcohol, remember to take it easy so you avoid getting into trouble.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD