Are there different kinds or qualities of microneedling?

There seem to be a variety of microneedling procedures (some expensive and some not) that happen in a physician's office or medi-spa. Some are $250 and some are $3,000. What are the differences?

Different kinds of microneedling

Hello, and thank you for your question! Generally speaking, there are two things that will determine the efficacy and cost of a microneedling session - 

(1) the depth of the needles, and 

(2) any other substance that is applied to the skin after the needling portion of the treatment. 

Generally speaking, the microneedling devices that can be used at home penetrate the skin to a depth of .25 mm-.5 mm - enough to give a "glow" and help with skin tone/quality and texture - but not deep enough to really get after lines, creases or scars. The machines that are used in a doctors office can penetrate as deep as 2.5 to 3 mm (5 to 6 times as deep as the ones for home use) and as such are much better at treating deeper lines and scars. If there is nothing else being done in the treatment (as in - nothing being placed on the skin after) all that matters is the needle depth. You will not get a more effective treatment for more money if both are going to a depth of 2.5 mm. 
The rest of the cost difference usually is determined on what substances and medications are being placed on the skin after a treatment. There is a huge range here - which probably represents the difference in cost you are seeing. You can treat the skin after microneedling with something as simple and cheap as a hyaluronic acid, something as expensive as dilute botox, or something as complicated as Platelet Rich Plasma. As to whether these add-ons are worth it - to me the jury is still out. There is a great deal of research being done in these areas, and over the next few years I think that we will learn a great deal about which of these post-needling topical treatments are worth the money, and which ones are not. In my practice I am not using them yet - and our microneedling costs $300 a session. This may change as the research becomes clear. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Different devices used for microneedling

Thank you and that is a great question. It can be very confusing when some treatments can be very misleading when you make a purchase thinking your getting a great deal to find out it is not what you were requesting. If a treatment is being done with a dermal roller the prices can be very low. Dermal rollers can also be purchased for at home use, which I would not recommend. I have seem patients actually damage their skin using a dermal roller. The depth of those rollers are very minimal. When you have microneedling done it usually ranges from $500-$800 per area. Microneedling uses a medical device with tiny sterile needles that your provider controls the depth and speed of the device. Microneedling used in combination with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) may increase the price but is definitely recommended. Microneedling with RF usually ranges from $1000- $4000. My best advice is to consult with your provider and they can explain how the procedure is done, how many sessions you may need and to answer any questions you may have. Best, Dr Faraz

Microneedling Safety -- NEEDLES ARE ALWAYS REPLACED -- Different types yes!

there are many different types.  simple microneedling and rolling can cost 250-750 a treatment.  microneedling with energy like RF can be 1000-3500 depending on what is being treated.  I suggest you see an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Most physician grade microneedling pen goes up and down, and can vary the depth of skin penatration from  .1 mm to 3 mm.  Some common names are Dermapen and Rejuvapen.    Average cost of the procedure is around $300.  However, when you start to add on serums, growth factors, and/or PRP ( Vampire Facial ) , the price can go up to $1000.    Most of the time, we want you to do series of 3 to 6 treatments to get the best results. 
If you go to a med spa without physician supervision,  you might get a dermal microneedling roller, which rolls over your face instead of going up and down.

Erik Suh, MD
Bellevue Family Physician