Is It Okay For An Aesthetician To Inject Juvederm?

is it ok for an aesthetician to inject juvederm?

Doctor Answers 10

Juvederm injected by aesthetician

In the state of Florida, aestheticians are not licensed to perform juvederm treatments. Due to the multitude of issues that can arise from improper technique, I would recommend utilizing only an experienced and expert injector who is licensed to perform the treatment in your state.  The slight savings you may find with an unqualified injector is not worth the risk.

West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Find someone experienced and well trained

In plastic surgery, like most things in life, you typically get what you pay for.  Like some of the other surgeons have said, it varies from state to state as to who can do certain procedures.  Instead of going to a less expensive provider who is just qualified enough, or even not qualified at all, I would recommend having your injections done by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.  No need to take unnecessary chances with your health.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Qualified Injectors...

I do not know what state you are in however, here in California it is absolutely illegal for an aesthetician to inject anything!

I would highly recommend you go to a well qualified skilled provider (MD, PA, NP, RN)

Good luck. 


Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

Who should inject Juvederm?

You want the most qualified person you can find to inject Juvederm or any other facial filler.  Serious complications can result from injection by someone not familiar with the facial anatomy.  Facial plastic surgeons are uniquely qualified to perform this procedure.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Aestheticians Injecting Juvederm

I will answer your query with a question back at you.  Regardless of the legality, why would you WANT an Aesthetician (or Gynecologist or Pediatrician for that matter) injecting your face? This is a very technique dependent procedure, so why not have a physician who is an expert in the face do this for you?  You may have to wear the result for a long time, so be discerning about who you choose!

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Is it o.k. for an aesthetician to inject Juvederm?

In California, aestheticians cannot perform procedures that puncture the skin surface so injection of a soft-tissue filler would not be allowed in this state.

In my opinion your best method to prevent rare complications with a procedure is to select the person with the best training in the procedure. Any procedure, including Juvederm, has complications including bruising, lumpiness, asymmetry, infection, etc. To minimize these risks I would recommend that you see an experienced dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon, who has a great deal of training and experience in injection of soft tissue fillers. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Aesthetician injecting Juvederm

I don't know of any state where it is legal for an aesthetician to inject Juvederm.  You really want a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon doing your injections.  After all, it's your face!  A nurse injector in a dermatologist or plastic surgeon office is also acceptable.  Remember: the bitterness of a poor result always outlasts the sweetness of low price.

Peterson Pierre, MD
Thousand Oaks Dermatologist


For facial fillers, I would recommend that you have it injected by the most qualified person you can find.  Unfortunately, I have seen irreversible results from fillers injected by injectors without knowledge of the anatomy and function of the underlying structures.  It is not worth having to go through that!  Please do your research and get it done right the first time.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Aesthetician injecting Juvederm

Definitely not OK in California and I doubt in any other state. In CA, only a doctor or a nurse working under a doctor's direct supervision can inject anything. Having said that, if you have a choice, why not go to the most qualified person which is a physician who knows and understands the anatomy and function of each muscle, who cares enough about his craft to hone it every day and participates in continuing education and conferences on the subject year after year?

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Is it OK for an aesthetician to inject Juvéderm?

There are 2 answers to that question.

  1. There are legal restrictions unique to each state that govern who can inject fillers. In Texas (my state), there is no provision in either the law or regulations governing aestheticians that allows them to inject a filler such as Juvéderm. If a physician chooses to delegate that responsibility, then he or she accepts fully that s/he is completely responsible for that aesthetician's training, expertise, and knowledge, to include taking care of any adverse events that may occur from that aesthetician's lack of knowledge.
  2. Do you want an aesthetician who lacks the training of a physician to inject you with a filler? I know that I don't. And I don't delegate this to anyone in my office.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.